Static/Hissing/Popping from CD player?

Steve88

I bought a single disc Sony CDP at the thrift the other day. It's in good shape, powered up, and appeared to work fine playing a CD. When I got it home and hooked it up, it plays the disc fine, but also makes noise that sounds very similar to listening to a dirty LP. It does this through the headphone jack as well. I opened it up, and its virtually spotless inside. I've done a little research, and I haven't been able to find any indication of what the problem might be. Anybody else ever have this happen? What should I check?

Nice Celestions BTW. I always liked the SL-6's and SL-600's

If it sounds "fuzzy", that indicates a bad reflection from the disc. It could indicate a dirty lens, or low laser emmision. It doesn't cost anything to clean the lens and is definitely worth a try. Try different discs and see if the behavior changes. A better reflecting disc will get better data back to the photodiodes and cause less data loss and muting.

If the laser emmision is low, it indicates a dying optical assy.

I have also recently become aware of some static noises. It sounds like static, I would not call it fuzzy. It happens predictably on certain notes, either kick drum or low bass notes, on certain CDs.

I have not yet had time to fully investigate to find the source of the noise. I am suspicious that static electricity could be a contributing factor.

During cold whether I get a lot of static electricity which, many times, has discharged from me into either my CD players or amps when I touched them. Has anyone ever heard of that causing audible issues?

Since this gear is connected with 2-prong plugs, i.e. not grounded, how could static electricity discharged into the metal case of a piece of gear ever escape? Could a static charge build up inside a piece of gear?

Is the metal case electrically bonded to the AC neutral wire?

Last edited:
For roger2,

If the static or distortion happens only on loud passages, you could have leaky muting transistors on the output section of the CD player. This failure could happen without static electricity.

The case/chassis of the CD player is not directly connected to the hot or neutral of the AC line. It may be connected to earth ground through the audio ground, if you connect to a amplifier with tuner connections to cable or if anything else has a 3-wire ac cord in your system

There are several possibilities:
1. The laser power is low, meaning the laser is about dead.

2. A spindle motor going bad can cause increased errors, which would make the same sound.

3. The DSP chip or the D-A converter is bad.

4. If the player has variable output, the control could be dirty.

Try cleaning the laser lens, gently, with a q tip moistened with ethanol (vodka will work fine.) Do not use isopropyl alcohol, it can cloud the lens.
Try putting a drop of light machine oil on the top bearing of the spindle motor. Sometimes the bearing dries up and causes errors.

x 25: It sort of sounds like the link you posted, but it's hard to tell from such a short video.

dr*audio: I'll try the things you suggested in the morning. Hopefully one of them fixes it.

I saw that youtube vid. Another thing that happens on those Philips/Magnavox players is cracks on the solder connections on the heatsink mounted voltage regulators. Just somethin' else to sheck.

First time poster... thanks for adding me to the forum.

After a quick search, I also have a similar issue, if not identical. I’m just wondering on a potential solution, I don’t want to reinvent the wheel by asking a new question as this one seems to cover it.

I have a circa 30 year old Sony CD player CDP-C311M, (I’ve had the unit since new). when playing back CD’s through the main unit I get an audible digital feedback and static (through the speakers).

I’ve made a short video to try and explain, I’ve ruled out the amp by utilising a different stereo for the video.

My question is relatively a simple one, can I take it somewhere for repair, or is there a repair I can carry out?

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but it was just given a pretty nice Sony ES player that is making the exact noise as the one in the video posted just above. A digital chirping noise with light occasional popping like an LP. I cleaned the laser lens, but of course no change and didn’t have too much hope that would help.

Is it likely a dying laser mechanism? I’d love to fix it, love the looks of the early 90s era Sony ES. Any thoughts on what to check? I was 7 or 8 years old when this thing was sold, looks pretty good for it’s age!

Thank you,
Dan

Just hooked up an external DAC using the optical output and still does it, so it’s definitely on the digital side.

Dan

Yes, probably a weak laser. The cyclical occurrence of the noise is the clue as the weak laser can't keep focus as the disc rotates and the distance from the disc surface to the lens varies a bit. A strong laser has no problem with this but a weak one...

Of course, it could also be dirt in the pickup assembly affecting reflective surfaces in there but it's most likely the laser.

Also, if you get varying results with different discs, some work and some don't, that/'s another clue as disc reflectivity varies.

Doug

Yes, probably a weak laser. The cyclical occurrence of the noise is the clue as the weak laser can't keep focus as the disc rotates and the distance from the disc surface to the lens varies a bit. A strong laser has no problem with this but a weak one...

Of course, it could also be dirt in the pickup assembly affecting reflective surfaces in there but it's most likely the laser.

Also, if you get varying results with different discs, some work and some don't, that/'s another clue as disc reflectivity varies.

Doug

Thank you for the response. It’s the same with every disc, I played 4 CDs, they all played music just fine, sounded good only it had the chirping noise and occasional click on top of the music. If I were to purchase another laser will it 100% need aligning? Or does they sometimes come as drop ins and work right of the bat? I’m guessing it takes some special equipment to setup a laser, which I most certainly wouldn’t have. Worth buying a new laser, or should I just scrap it and make it a parts machine?

Dan

Back
Top Bottom