Static in my Sansui Volume Knob!!

vince1272

Ive been getting static in the volume knob on my Sansui G 7000 every time I raise or lower the volume. It goes away when I dont touch the knob, but it is still annoying. Ive been told to spray some deoxit on it, but I dont see where. I opened up the unit, and i dont see anything moving when I turn the knob. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.........vince

They are hard to get cleaner into but it can be done. You need De-Oxit cleaner and a steady hand. If you look immediately behind the VOLUME CONTROL knob (unit opened, and looking in from the bottom) you will see a circular component about 1" in diameter. It has two sections; the front section is the balance control and the rear section is the volume control. If you look you can see a small opening running part way around the circumference for about 30-40 degrees and it will have 3 small metal tabs with flat metal sections running into the internals of the controls. That is the opening where you insert the cleaner. Not too much, though. Perhaps 2 or 3 drops.

Then, work the control(s) up and down (power off, of course) for several cycles - say 10. Then, do it again but pulling gently on the knob or shaft. Then repeat pushing gently on the knob or shaft.

You can repeat this procedure daily until the KS disappears.

You can read my description of this in thread: > Exclusively Sansui > 9090 question - it's about the 4th or 5th message down. Also see thread: Vintage Solid State > The triumph of hope over experience....

Paul

PS: KS= Kellogg’s Syndrome – SNAP, CRACKLE & POP

Back
Top Bottom