1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Static/popping in right channel of Marantz 2200

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by malaise, Jun 9, 2018.

1. malaise

malaise New Member

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my Marantz 2200 and looking for guidance. Just recently I started getting a static-y noise/popping just on the right channel. A few details:

- It is not affected by the volume or selector switch (phono/AUX/FM/AM).
    - The static persists in the right channel for a minute or two after I power down the unit.
    - Can be heard on main speakers, remote speakers, and headphones.
    - Switching the speakers revealed it is in fact the receiver, not a speaker problem.
    - I cleaned all switches and pots thoroughly with deoxit. The problem seemed to lessen for a few days, but it came back.

Anyone have an idea what this could be? The receiver is probably due for a recapping, but I don't want to do a full overhaul and find out it was something else. I seem to recall from another thread that if it is apparent in headphones, that indicates a fault in the amp, not preamp. Maybe DC offset or a leaky transistor?

Any help is appreciated!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. don philipe

don philipe AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had the same problem in my 2285b,in fact I still have it.It needs service.I was told it's transistors going south.