Stats

D-Zyne

I'm sure this isn't the first time this topic has been brought up but I don't usually hang out in this forum ('till now).

I'd like to get yooz gize's opinions on electrostats. Because I live in NYC and space is at a premium, we don't see a lot of 'em here. I'm moving out to LI soon and would seriously like to consider them because I HAVE heard some good things about them.

So...let the games begin.

I love 'em. Ever since I heard a pair of Acoustat Monitor-X speakers, I knew I had to have electrostatics in my system. Never heard a dome tweeter after that experience that I would give serious consideration to. Although I do like the full-range electrostatic sound, I've never owned it. My stats have always done tweeter duty. First set was RTR ESR-6 add on tweeters that I used for years. These were later replaced with some custom tweeters from X-Static. Check here for pictures.

I've owned a few; Quad, Martin Logan, Acoustat, Stax.

You will love them for what they do well (midrange purity, transparency) but what they fail at (dynamics, wide bandwidth, compatibility with amplifiers etc.) will drive you mad.

All speakers are compromises, 'stats are the most compromised of speaker types.

Did you have any specific models in mind ?

You can find a heap of info here:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl-circuit/9041IMAI.htm

Regards,

I'm with Michael. If your preferences match the attributes at which electrostats excel, there is no better speaker in the world. However, if you can't accept the compromises in an electrostatic design, it is not a livable choice.

In my opinion, elctrostats are unmatched in midrange purity. Unamplified vocals can take on a holographic presentation that I have never heard replicated in any other speaker type. The Quad ESL63 is my reference in this regard. However, electrostats are notorious for being extremely power hungry and are not linear with increased power. In other words, it's hard to get them to play loud, and when they do, the sonic character changes (and not for the better). They are bass restricted and must be used with a sub for full range response. Most also have a falling HF response, so it is not uncommon to supplement these speakers with a dynamic tweeter.

Finally, just about all electrostats are dipoles that radiate front and back out of phase. This leads to restrictions in placement. Most work best when placed away from room boundaries. It is common to place them out into a room at a distance of at least 3' away from front and back walls. This means that they may not work well in a small space.

However, if you can live with the above restrictions, the seductive midrange can be very addictive and you might find there is no other type of speaker that will do.

Hmmmm...y'all make some very good points. I listen to a lot of classical symphonic music which is pretty full range. I have an Infinity sub that has served me well over the years but I was under the impression that stats handles the highs fairly well. Also didn't take into account the dipole aspects.

But I'm still interested enough to audition them.

Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by D-Zyne
But I'm still interested enough to audition them.

Drop me a PM, we can have a listening session of an unusual stat setup on classical music.

Back
Top Bottom