Staying in shape during winter.

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by rxonmymind, Oct 30, 2016.

1. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

While I can't comment on what it feels like at the age your at, I CAN completely agree with the duration it takes to recover. But were a little wiser and aren't trying to max out and blow a shoulder or triceps out. Now it's as you said to stay the effects of aging and not lose muscle mass. Lighter weights & more repetitions.

Also I'd point you to looking at an seated elliptical machines as they mimic riding and provide you with an upper arm workout. They're good for back injuries as they don't require as much strain on the back as running.

2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

At 61 I keep pretty active. My wife goes to a gym, but I don't think I have set foot in one for exercise in 40 years. What I do every single day though (other than building on our retirement house) is some form of hike, bike, ski, snowshoe, etc on the many trails, beaches, logging roads we have around here. . I have an Australian Shepard that is in full charge of all these sorts of exercise activities and let me tell you, he doesn't take no for an answer! So no matter the weather, we are out running the dog (and ourselves) a minimum of an hour a day so he will settle down after and we can get some peace. I figure it is probably a good arrangement because if we didn't have him, we would likely get lazy about going every day, especially in a rainstorm.
    My exercise regiment:
    CameraZOOM-20161008164403598.jpg

rxonmymind and KeninDC like this.
  3. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Eat well but reducing ones calorie intake will keep the winter pounds at bay

rxonmymind likes this.
  4. Darksyde

Darksyde Well-Known Member

If one works out with consistency , recovery times are lessened and you can maintain muscle mass . One hour and fifteen minutes , four times a week . Two heavy workouts and two light (cable machine) workouts a week . The key is not to go overboard . I also drink a protein shake before I hit the gym . I wouldn't recommend speakers or any audio hardware to anyone , but weight lifting is something I recommend to everyone no matter what age .

KeninDC likes this.
  5. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

I'm getting plenty of exercise. Since my heart surgery, I walk in the fields every morning just as the sun is coming up. Lately, since we're selling the property and moving, I'm selling/scrapping a 30 year accumulation of government surplus "stuff" in my 5000 sq. ft warehouse and 8 acres outside.

6. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

The rule I follow in the in the winter is eat less, move more.

7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian AK Subscriber Subscriber

I second the recomendation on the resistance training. the added muscle mass will burn calories and you will lean up more with this than aerobic exercise . also easier on the joints for old suckers. my daughter is in dietetics and the ex wife in exercise science so I gain this knowledge via higher education and thru emperical data.

8. bshorey

bshorey AK Subscriber Subscriber

My understanding is that muscle burns more calories than fat while resting. I.e., your resting metabolism works more in your favor.

My daughter bought me the 'Insanity' workout DVD's a couple of years ago. I need to get back to them. They are brutal, and all you really need is a workout mat or a carpeted floor.

bs

ToasterBin likes this.
  9. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I raced bicycles for a bunch of years and have had the chance to compete in most all strength sports (I've not competed in strongman -- yet). I am certainly a conflicted athlete.

I do a combination of gym work and riding my bike on rollers through the winter. There are big variables about where you live. If you live in Boston, your winter workouts will look different than if you live in Miami.

The question of elliptical/ stationary endurance against resistance training, I will argue that they both have the same potential pitfall -- it is just easier to get stuck there with cardio only programs.

Basically, you start out with either and the first month you see results and are motivated. The second month, you keep doing the same thing and get results -- just not the same. Regardless, you feel good about moving in the right direction and stay motivated.

Each month sees less in the way of results. This is not just true of winter fitness. Elite athletes will get stuck at a certain level where they need to change in order to continue to move forward (for them, it is also not uncommon that they need to cycle their intensity because they are burning out their central nervous system).

I see it in the gym, and I see it with all ages of aspiring bike racers. For a treadmill/ elliptical user, when you come in and do your 1 hour 3-4x/ week the results slow down.

Key point if you don't want to read all this ramble: So long as motivation continues, the additional exercise is a very wonderful lifestyle addition. Combined with a healthy/ realistic diet, you will be able reduce you weight and maintain an improved level of health. Don't be afraid to change things up every now and again, add in a dedicated time for stretching once a week (for joint mobility -- most all endurance is a partial range of motion for your joints), and tell people what you are doing for a mild level of accountability.

PAGS likes this.
  10. PAGS

PAGS AK Subscriber Subscriber

After messing up my legs from over-running this past summer (too fast, too far, too often), I invested in a rowing machine. After some research, I settled on a Concept 2, Model D. Not cheap, but very well-rated.

You get a surprisingly good, low impact workout. The unit does take up a fair amount of room, though.

[​IMG]
    (Not me. I'm more buff. :biggrin:)

rxonmymind likes this.
  11. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

?

Round is a shape, isn't it?

ETLS likes this.
  12. rxonmymind

Answered a Craigslist add for only the second time advertising a Bowflex 1090 adjustable dumbbells. Everything went smoothly and I got an awesome deal at $200 for essentially a brand new pair used only a few times. Feel bad for the guy he bought them then crushed his lower lumbar something and can't use weights anymore.
    I appreciate no BS deals straight shooters.
    Now to go use them. Did a 6 mile walk yesterday my boxer and since it's raining onto the elliptical. Feeling good lately.
    I wish all of you best of luck in fighting the good fight staying healthy. Do a little everyday even if it's around the block.

Attached Files:

13. rxonmymind

Decided go for a walk, get some exercise & some fresh air wit my daughter. Taking advantage of this beautiful 58° weather day. Besides it gets her off the computer. Funny thing is she started out not wanting to but at the end she genuinely enjoyed it. We saw ducks, birds nest, and other wild life. Kids & outdoors is like pj sandwiches. They just go together.:)

Attached Files:

14. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

In August of 2013 I had a stroke (3 actually). I installed tile for a living which is a pretty physical job. I am 6 foot 2 and at the time of my strokes I weighed about 180-185 lbs. Fast forward appox two years and I weighed in at a round 240. Not able to work to stay in shape, quit smoking so I was eating Kerrs hard candies to help with the cravings. All my life I have been tall and thin, not any more. Spring of 2015 I decided to do something about it. One word "GOLF". Quit eating candies and junk and was fortunate enough to have my local course do a spring deal that year $100 play all you want from opening day (early March- end of April). I played almost every day for the almost 2 months the deal was on and dropped 35 lbs in that time. I ain't talking riding my then fat ass in a golf cart. I was dragging my waaaay overstuffed pull cart behind me for 18 holes daily. Some days I left the cart at home and carried my bag but after a few times that seemed a little to tough for this outta shape old fart to handle.

Sorry, not relavent to winter unless you live in a warm climate but just had to get that off my chest.

15. rxonmymind

It's relevant as you lost weight. Good job. Walking is something that's doable and we should all at least do that. My beast mode running days are long gone bit I can do the elliptical & walk.
    Anyway keep it up 55Redneck and best on your continuing recovery!:beerchug:

16. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

Thanks very much rx. I was fairly lucky with my strokes as there wasn't major damage. Just some minor motor functions on my left side (I'm a southpaw). Can't work a grinder for cutting tile like I used to or write worth a crap but my golf swing still sucks like it did 25 years ago when I played all the time. ;) If I ever cure my slice I might be medioker (sp?).

rxonmymind likes this.
  17. onepixel

onepixel .

Surf, rock climb, hike, bike, run, yoga, snowboard, sometimes cross country ski, snow shoe and fly fish for winter steelhead.

Get out and play.

Alobar and rxonmymind like this.
  18. mr clean

mr clean Active Member

I lost 50 lbs last year and have kept it off. What you eat is everything but I work out at the gym at work some and when working a bunch I use a bayou fitness total trainer, weights and a kettle bell. For me being over 50 it does a great job and you can add extra weight. Its like a total gym but made much better and at a fair price. I got mine off craigs list as it is easy to find gym equipment barely used. Best secret to feel like you cheating but not is mashed cauliflower. I eat right 80 percent of the time and cheat pretty good one day a week. Been good so tomorrow its smoked brisket and homeade ice cream . Im 6 ft and still weigh about 200 pounds so I'm not in perfect shape for sure but feel so much better than I did 50 pounds ago. I walk down the road and back a few times a week also. Only about 2 miles but it helps. 4 meals a day with a carb the size of my fist and a protein source the size of my palm. I use fruit for one of my carbs and get about 3 servings of veggies. Drink almond milk and just eat cheese maybe twice a week Start every day with the juice of a lemon and then apple cider vinegar one at a time mixed with little water. Then I brush my teeth so the acid don't make my teeth look like a crack head.

http://www.bayoufitness.com/total-trainers/bayou-fitness-total-trainer-dlx-iii-home-gym/

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    rxonmymind likes this.
  19. rxonmymind

^^^Good job Mr. Clean! Wow! 50# is impressive.
    I'm looking to shave a bit more off my eating habits as I've hit a plateau in terms of losing weight. Now with the sun out I can take advantage of it & walk/jog a bit more. I like the elliptical but nothing beats a good brisk walk in the sunshine.
    Wow, 50#. Niiice.

20. mr clean

mr clean Active Member

I forgot to tell you well done on the weight loss! I don't drink soda and may drink 6 beers a week. Water,coffee,tea with monk fruit for sweeter. Guys at work try to get me to cheat but I rarely do. I tell people the only time I'm suffering is at the dinner table. Aches and pains have went away. Don't ever take that big breath in like I used to when setting. Some of you may know what I'm talking about and my mood is even better. Its funny I guess I'm kind of meaner looking than I am and at 250 I could tell people who didn't know me acted as if he looks like he could be a handful not knowing I would be out of wind in about 45 sec:). At 200 not as much and at 53 I really don,t care. Its nice being able to climb stairs and not stop every 2 floors. Keep up the good work!

rxonmymind likes this.