Staying in shape during winter.

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by rxonmymind, Oct 30, 2016.

1. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

My new exercise machine. Fat bike!

[​IMG]

... but I cheat. <G>

It's an eBike, so I can either peddle along OR get several levels of power assist with a click of a button. I went almost 20 miles the other day, peddling in the flats and using the assist up hills where my knees would start to bark. Kept peddling, but clicked in enough assist to maintain the same effort level I put in on the flats. Still ended up getting more exercise than I'd get on the standard mountain bike because I didn't wimp out as fast.

rxonmymind and GearHead454 like this.
  2. GearHead454

GearHead454 Still Lost Subscriber

That's an awesome machine. What brand/ model did you get and why. I am riding a bit myself but wife could probably use the assist. I sure I will need assist soon enough as well.

3. Redikilowatt

Redikilowatt Audio Understudy Subscriber

I finally had to give up running and treadmill as it was taking a toll on joints. I do 30 mins on elliptical and mix in "stair stepper" 2-4 times a week. However, I continue my 4 days a week gym workout of 1-1 1/2 hours. I mix free weights, resistance machines, and body resistance. Cardio and weight training are both important to me. I admit cardio gets harder as I age. My height shrunk over an inch too :rolleyes:

Currently I'm 5ft 9.5in and a little heavy at 170lbs. But I can do 10-12 pull-ups and bench press 185-95lbs at age 71.

Roger

Darksyde and onepixel like this.
  4. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

It's a RadRover. I like the fat bikes, and that's pretty much all you see on the trails this time of year as they're happy in the snow. Had a whole thread going about it (and other eBikes) recently if ya wanna take a peek.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/electric-bikes.753019/

Currently working on "accessorizing". Bags, lights, glitter and handlebar streamers ... you know, the usual!

rxonmymind and GearHead454 like this.
  5. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Also just read of Nike's attempt to break the sub 2 hour Marathon barrier. Folks, that's averaging 4:34 seconds a mile! I have a hard enough time doing that in a mountain bike.:D
    Anyway one super athlete came close.
    "Eliud Kipchoge does marathon in two hours and 24 seconds in Nike's Breaking2 project"

7. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat a gym rat. But after getting married, and helping clean up/close up my wife's salon after work. I don't have as much time to go to the gym as I used to. For keeping the pounds, and flab off despite being less active. I've found nothing makes a bigger difference than just controlling what you ingest. I highly recommend a good activity tracker, I've been using a fitbit charge HR for 2 years. It'll give you an accurate enough idea of calorie usage day by day. Get used to using the app to track what you ingest, there's a search function to put in everything you eat and drink. I try to keep around a 500 calorie deficit per day on average. On days I can hit the gym, I have a protein shake, with some BCAA supplements prior to lifting, so I don't burn out too quickly from the caloric deficit.