Steely Dan Aja as reference for testing speakers

Let me get into my "way back machine"--nearly 40 years ago, there was a high-end audio dealer smack dab in the middle of the OSU campus in Columbus, OH--they would "entertain" all of us poor college students--let us drink and smoke (not just cigarettes) in their high-end audio rooms (with the sliding glass doors closed). No "snobbery"--just a lot of fun. Hell, the sales people weren't much older than we were. They knew we couldn't afford ANYTHING in those rooms, but we would buy enough volume of "lower-end" stuff to keep the doors open and the lights on--GOOD TIMES!!!

Progressive Audio? Great, great place, unfortunately closed in 2012 (I believe), but to that point had been in business for 34yrs on the OSU campus, right in the middle of High St.

Good times at that place, AMAZING gear there.

this will make some cringe but Tool lateralus is really well recorded
the 3rd song- the patient- you can hear all kinds of stuff
played it on a set of wilson sofia 2
the salesman was a little annoyed but later impressed by the depth of the soundstage
then he put on the best of steely dan-- that kinda brought the wilson's down a notch

I am quite surprised that not one forum member has mentioned Two Against Nature by Steely Dan.

220px-Steelydan-twoagainstnature.jpg

A great recording to audition speakers with is the Moody Blues Strange Times.
This recording has some very deep bass notes.

220px-Strangetimes.jpg

A couple of videos of the live versions of English Sunset and Haunted which are from the Strange Times album.
watch
watch
The live versions are from their Hall of Fame live recording.

I am quite surprised that not one forum member has mentioned Two Against Nature by Steely Dan.

Absolutely - I hate the lyrics, but Phil and I agree that Cousin Dupree from that album is is a great test track - taut crispy bass, too ...

I also like Africano from Earth Wind and Fire
Coyote or Amelia from Joni Mitchell's Hejira album ...
Graceland or Diamonds from Paul Simon's Graceland album ...
And (some of my friends HATE this one -
Streets of Bakersfield (w/Buck Owens vocal duet) on Dwight Yoakam's album "Buenas Noches from a Lonely Room" is great too

Yep! Original vinyl pressing. I know that album inside and out and use it as my go to anytime I upgrade. My latest was from a Denon 103r cart to a Ortofon Quintet Black. Amazing the difference! I heard reverb in the instruments that I hadn't with the Denon. Great album! In fact, I'm listening to Gaucho right now.

Well, I read this article a while back. It's very interesting and enlightening with regards to Alan Parson's legacy.

https://www.cepro.com/article/beatles_pink_floyd_engineer_alan_parsons_rips_audiophiles#
Agreed! i use many of the now defunct GRP (Grusin Rosen Productions 1978-1995) label's Digital Masters as my reference recordings. Dave Grusin's Migration, and Lee Ritenoir's Wes Bound jump to mind, but there hundreds of excellent quality master recordings in their catalog. They sold out in 1995 and things changed thereafter. The artists who released through GRP is a who's who of jazz. Hampton, Crusaders, Larry Carlton, Rippingtons, Diane Schuur, BB King, Tom Scott, Acoustic Alchemy, Brecker Brothers and many more.

A great recording to audition speakers with is the Moody Blues Strange Times.
This recording has some very deep bass notes.

220px-Strangetimes.jpg

A couple of videos of the live versions of English Sunset and Haunted which are from the Strange Times album.
watch
watch
The live versions are from their Hall of Fame live recording.
Well, I did (sort of)... I use Jack of Speed when I auditioned equipment.

A proper "reference recording" should be one where you know every single note. Establishes the baseline needed for proper comparison. Back when I was building/maintaining AM Top 40 stations (now there's something that really dates me:)) my go-to track for final setup of the audio processing chain was "Josie". Get that rhythm guitar "ringing", the drums poppin' and the bass rumblin' just right and all was right with the world.

Regarding "The Nightfly": It was recorded on a prototype 3M 32 track digital deck that required a team of 3M engineers to keep it running right. The results speak for themselves. I treated myself to the MoFi 2-step 45RPM pressing of that gem and it is truly a treat. Something similar for "Aja" would get my $$$ right quickly.

If you are new to Steely Dan and find yourself smitten by Aja for auditioning systems, you owe it to yourself to try Two Against Nature.
More specifically, the first track I usual play as a soundcheck is "Cousin Dupree".

That album won three Grammys in 2001 including Album of the Year and Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical.
"Cousin Dupree" won the Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal

I've been a Dan fan from the very beginning. My daughter even went to the college where Becker and Fagen first met, and I feel Two Against Nature is the best engineered of any of their creations.
:beerchug:
I now see I must have missed your post.

Agreed! i use many of the now defunct GRP (Grusin Rosen Productions 1978-1995) label's Digital Masters as my reference recordings. Dave Grusin's Migration, and Lee Ritenoir's Wes Bound jump to mind, but there hundreds of excellent quality master recordings in their catalog. They sold out in 1995 and things changed thereafter. The artists who released through GRP is a who's who of jazz. Hampton, Crusaders, Larry Carlton, Rippingtons, Diane Schuur, BB King, Tom Scott, Acoustic Alchemy, Brecker Brothers and many more.
I was wondering when someone would bring up the GRP catalog. Those guys were committed adopters of digital before I was boxing up the LP's and replacing them with CD's.

Regarding "The Nightfly": It was recorded on a prototype 3M 32 track digital deck that required a team of 3M engineers to keep it running right. The results speak for themselves. I treated myself to the MoFi 2-step 45RPM pressing of that gem and it is truly a treat. Something similar for "Aja" would get my $$$ right quickly.
Apropos of nothing:

Remember that Sony ad with their 24 Track in the back of a Mitsubishi pickup? Tagline was "They make a nice truck". (Mitsu was also 32 track, on 1" tape. Sony fit 24 on half inch tape, with space for 24 more.)

I like Steely Dan and listen to Aja from time to time. It's good but I never considered it a 'reference' recording. On that album 'Peg' would be my pick for more critical listening, Chuck Rainey really rips on the bass in that track. Fun fact, Phil Hartman (the SNL comedian) designed the Aja album cover
I never knew that about Phil Hartman.

Bob Katz has a great list of reference cd's. https://www.digido.com/honor-roll/ Take the time to read the page, then click on the + sign's at the bottom of the page to show the CD's in each of the four categories. Its geared towards studio engineers, but the listed music is produced well. May not be your cup of tea (music wise), but they sound great. I too am a big KISS fan (early KISS), but I listen to alot of genres.

Bob Katz has a great list of reference cd's. https://www.digido.com/honor-roll/ Take the time to read the page, then click on the + sign's at the bottom of the page to show the CD's in each of the four categories. Its geared towards studio engineers, but the listed music is produced well. May not be your cup of tea (music wise), but they sound great. I too am a big KISS fan (early KISS), but I listen to alot of genres.
Interesting in how many of those I own and rely on for their clear sound. Makes me wonder how many of those I don't know about that I should own.

Progressive Audio? Great, great place, unfortunately closed in 2012 (I believe), but to that point had been in business for 34yrs on the OSU campus, right in the middle of High St.

Good times at that place, AMAZING gear there.

My guess was Progressive Audio or Palmer Stereo. Both places, and let's add chain store Tech Hifi fueled an early age lust for audio gear.

Back
Top Bottom