Stello CDT-100 transport - Learning more about digital

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
When discussing cable options for my digital front end, my dealer, who had offered to let me try a couple of digital Coax cables, made an offer I couldn't refuse. Suggesting that my old JVC 1010 may not be the be all and end all of transports, he offered me a Stello CDT 100 transport to try out. He said the only way to find out what was holding back my digital front end was to try a couple of different pieces, and see what worked best. I will still keep running my Sim Moon 100D as DAC.

So, I've been warming up this neat little top loading transport, and will give it a try. Should be fun.

BTW, this is the advantage of having a good relationship with a good dealer!

02_02_01_img_01.gif

hero.jpg

First impression? More drive and rhythm. More snap to it, then the old JVC XL-Z1010. Going to try some more challenging material.

Running a LIM, Ultra HD 32 bit mastered cd of Ella and Louis, my all time favorite album. So far the winner for me has always been the Speakers Corner reissue. In the past, I found the cd lacking presence compared to the vinyl.

There is a moment on "isn't it a lovely Day" where you can almost sense Satchmo stepping up to mike, taking a deep breath, and starting to sing. This version still doesn't do it as well as the vinyl, but the sound is much richer than the same combo played through the JVC. Just more palpable and "there". First digital play where I know that not everything is there, but I just notice it. I don't really miss it. I am still getting the performance.

Cute little bugger. Enjoy!

Yeah, it is. And that display is a killer for old farts who no longer appreciate tiny writing on their gear. Caught a moment of flightiness in reading a disc, but otherwise this is a very nice unit. Kind of odd control logic. Not bad, but just different. Easy to adjust to. Great remote control.

That is a cute little gal (I have a colleague that I have nicknamed Stello). Wonder how she would sound with her mate?

That is a cute little gal (I have a colleague that I have nicknamed Stello). Wonder how she would sound with her mate?

Don't know. But the Sim shouldn't be that far behind, if at all.

I arranged an in home demo with the Sim 300D mk2 once I have the Stingray in place. Should be fun to compare the two.

I arranged an in home demo with the Sim 300D mk2 once I have the Stingray in place. Should be fun to compare the two.

It was just a thought. Sometimes pieces are designed with each other in mind. Often makes for an ideal matchup.

And not a bad one. Wasn't shopping for a DAC so I didn't ask. Wasn't even shopping for a transport, but it was offered to me to try out. Couldn't say no to that!

A couple of observations:

1) I am surprised how big a difference a transport can make. My JVC was no slouch when new, but is no comparison to this.

2) Much like you, Art, I find I enjoy spinning cd's more than using the computer to play my files.

Just curious as to when the Stingray is to arrive? I'm living vicariously through your upgrades:D. Please hurry or I might have to go buy something.

Just curious as to when the Stingray is to arrive? I'm living vicariously through your upgrades:D. Please hurry or I might have to go buy something.

Looks like end of next week. Not that I am counting the days or anything. :)

Erik, is this transport still current? I had thought the 100 series had been discontinued, and know that the Stello DA 100 is a fine little dac and would mate very nicely with this transport. Not sure if the DA 100 was designed by Simon Lee, the one who did the design for the Eximus line and the DP1, but I have listened to both, and think the DA100 gives you a nice slice of the DP1's performance for a good deal less. Cool little products with very good sound. Have fun! Tim

Erik, is this transport still current? I had thought the 100 series had been discontinued, and know that the Stello DA 100 is a fine little dac and would mate very nicely with this transport. Not sure if the DA 100 was designed by Simon Lee, the one who did the design for the Eximus line and the DP1, but I have listened to both, and think the DA100 gives you a nice slice of the DP1's performance for a good deal less. Cool little products with very good sound. Have fun! Tim

As far as I know, it is. To be honest, I had never even heard of Stello before seeing this little guy. Would love to learn more about Simon Lee.

You can read a bit about his design on the Eximus DAC on 6-Moons. While I don't always agree with everything on that site, it is usually very informative and at least some good pictures. There is also a review if the Eximus S1 amplifier based on the Bang & Olufsen class D modules. These are some pretty nice sounding pieces, at a not too crazy price for new gear these days. Have fun with the little transport, it is cool! I was also thinking there was a review on the transport and DAC combo with some pics in 6-Moons. Might have to look that up. Tim

Stello (and siblings April Music/Eximus) gear seems to get good reviews but I see very little mention of their products (the Eximus DACs aside) on most English-language forums. I'm not in the market for a CDT (or CDP), but its good to see this get a mention - I auditioned the matching DAC a few years back and found it to be from the 'warts and all clarity' side of the sonic fence. I also auditioned the first Aura Note but, while definitely a capable little all-in-one, it didnt wow me. Speakers may not have been ideal - Wharfedales, from memory - but it was more a case of the dealer wanting to show off his little toy than me actively seeking it out.

a few years ago, I had the Stello CDT Transport and the Stello DA 100 Signature . Had them in a shoot out with the XRAY v8. The DA 100 has all the connections for whatever format you want.

pict0080i.jpg

pict0077lr.jpg

CENTER]

pict0143g.jpg

Are you able to get the matching DAC? It cost $1200 a few years ago. Perhaps you dealer has them as well seeing he has the transport?

This is very cool Erik, and not something I expected to see.

First impression? More drive and rhythm. More snap to it, then the old JVC XL-Z1010.

I don't have first-hand experience using separate CD transports and DACs, but reviews I've read seem to note changes similar to what you've described here.

Are you thinking about buying it?

Back
Top Bottom