step down transformer

timmikid

Hi all, I've been a visitor for a long time and this is my first post. I'll get right to the point. There is a pair of beautiful MC-30's on on it's way to Holland. This thanks to some great people I 'met' on the Klipsch forum. They also roam this place. Anyway, in Holland we have 220 volts/50 hz. I was wondering if there are special MC step down transformers, or maybe audiophile ones? Furthermore will the difference from 50 hz to 60 hz matter? Thanks, Tim. :thmbsp:

Hi Tim, you found where I hide out..... 50 or 60HZ the MC30 does not care. If you can not find a 500Va or larger transformer let me know I think I still have a 750VA - 220 to 115 hidden away in the shop, problem is it weighs 26 pounds - almost as much as a 30....

The amps came from another AK member (Joe Auwen) to me for check out, then on their way to Tim. Thanks to Joe and the guys on the Klipsch forum for all the work they did to get Tim his amps - very long story.......

Tim, congratulations on your new MC-30's. I am sure you will enjoy them and they are in a good spot at the moment, they will be in top shape before you get them. Enjoy.

Hey all!!! I knew you were here! I can find an transformer, it's a 800 VA with two outputs, just wanted to know I did the right thing. Best, Tim. It's a long story indeed isn't it? :) Tim.

Dflip said:
Tim, congratulations on your new MC-30's. I am sure you will enjoy them and they are in a good spot at the moment, they will be in top shape before you get them. Enjoy.

Thanks Don, your Mapletree is doing a good job BTW! This winter I hope to upgrade the same way you did. I wonder where your, mine, our mapletree will go! It's a lovely piece! :thmbsp: Tim

800VA with 2 outputs, just what the doctor ordered, each 30 will pull about .9A at idle and 1.6A RMS at full power giving less than 200VA per amp with 400VA total. The 800VA will run cool and have good headroom for peak power, you did good !!

If you only need to use 110v out of the 220v.... couldn't you just plug in half of the plug to get the 110v..... :scratch2:

Joe Auwen
Prescott Valley, Arizona

Last edited:
ajauwen said:
If you only need to use 110v out of the 220v.... couldn't you just plug in half of the plug to get the 110v..... :scratch2:

That'll work :D

If you have an underpowered autotransformer you could still use it. Connect both amps' power feeds in series. Connect the centertap of the autotransformer to the point between the amps. The autotransformer will take care of any differences of current demand between the two amps.

mains-----amp1-----+----amp2----mains return
......... \______autotr'ansformer__/

wa2ise said:
That'll work :D

If you have an underpowered autotransformer you could still use it. Connect both amps' power feeds in series. Connect the centertap of the autotransformer to the point between the amps. The autotransformer will take care of any differences of current demand between the two amps.

mains-----amp1-----+----amp2----mains return
......... \______autotr'ansformer__/

Thanks guys! :D Actually the above will probably work, but I decided I want 60 watts coming out of the MC30's, so I'll just plug them in 220V! :smoke: Wait, I also have a 360V powerconnection somewhere! :naughty:

Back
Top Bottom