Step Up from Ortofon 2M Black?

Kierkegaard

Hey guys ... A lot of you were incredibly helpful with suggestions on cleaning my Ortofon 2M Black stylus.

I got some Last stylus cleaner and it seems to have improved the sound quite a bit — not nearly as distorted now, especially around vocals and mids.

I'm starting to realize, though, that this stylus is going to have to be replaced someday, and probably sooner than I'd like.

So ... what's your advice on the next step up? On Stereophile's Recommended Components list it seems like the Lyra Delos is the next step up, but at $1650 it's more than twice the cost of the Ortofon.

What do you guys think a great cartridge would be for around $1000? Grado? Sumiko? Dynavector? There are so many choices at that price point and I have no experience with any of them. Would love to know what you guys think.

My system, by the way, includes a Technics 1200 with just about all the KAB mods, a Musical Fidelity M1VYNL phono amp, a Doge 6 preamp with Genalex Gold Lion tubes, and a Nakamichi PA-7 amp. Speakers are a pair of Zu Audio Essences.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

— K.

I got some Last stylus cleaner and it seems to have improved the sound quite a bit — not nearly as distorted now, especially around vocals and mids.[...] Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Did you ever clean the stylus before the Last?

My vote is for the at150mlx cartridge.

Other than blowing on it? ;) No ... This is the first time I've cleaned the stylus. I'll look into the at150mlx ... Thanks.

To do better than the 2M Black (which I have and like) you have to go moving coil, IMHO. Then there are a lot of options. There just are not that many really great moving magnet cartridges anymore.

HOMC is an option, though. I also have a Dynavector 20xH which is for sure better than the Black.

Last edited:
I recently went up from a Grado Sonata1 to a Dynavector 20X2L and I think it's amazing. If your phono stage can't handle the low output, you can always go with the high output Dyna (20X2H), but I can't vouch for that one.

You might want to consider upgrading the arm before buying any other cartridge.

I'd guess that the cartridge you aready have is being limited by the arm - it might sound good, but would sound considerably better in another arm. A better cartridge is going to be similarly limited; you simply won't hear the best it can do.

Hey guys ... A lot of you were incredibly helpful with suggestions on cleaning my Ortofon 2M Black stylus.

I got some Last stylus cleaner and it seems to have improved the sound quite a bit — not nearly as distorted now, especially around vocals and mids.

I'm starting to realize, though, that this stylus is going to have to be replaced someday, and probably sooner than I'd like.

So ... what's your advice on the next step up? On Stereophile's Recommended Components list it seems like the Lyra Delos is the next step up, but at $1650 it's more than twice the cost of the Ortofon.

What do you guys think a great cartridge would be for around $1000? Grado? Sumiko? Dynavector? There are so many choices at that price point and I have no experience with any of them. Would love to know what you guys think.

My system, by the way, includes a Technics 1200 with just about all the KAB mods, a Musical Fidelity M1VYNL phono amp, a Doge 6 preamp with Genalex Gold Lion tubes, and a Nakamichi PA-7 amp. Speakers are a pair of Zu Audio Essences.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

— K.

A pickup that is a step up is of course depending on where on the stairs we think the 2MBlack is residing. Personally, considering what I believe and have heard, something like AT150MLX or Nagaoka MP300 would be a quite large step up. I consider also AT440MLa a step up.

On the other hand a change to a better TT, or at least the arm, would also give a nice step up on those stairs. Any pickup You use with that arm will quite much be an obstacle for the pickup to work at its best.
gusten

Last edited:
If staying with MM, I would recommend either a Nagaoka MP300 or MP500.

If changing to MC, I would recommend a Denon DL-S1, which would work well with the medium mass Technics arm.

Personally, I think the 2M Black is just about as good as an MM gets and the AT150, MP300 etc would be retrograde steps. MC is the way forward and if you like the 2M Black sound then consider an Ortofon Rondo Bronze or one of the Cadenzas. The Lyra is a very fine cartridge but it does have a rising response so it may come as a bit of a shock after the 2M Black!

However, if you're still using the standard arm then you won't get any more out of the deck until you change this. Heck, you're most likely not hearing the best the 2M Black can offer, either.

Thanks so much, guys. Lots of good suggestions and advice.

I'm not going to replace the arm — at least not yet — because it's had all the KAB upgrades and is still only about a year and a half old. But I am going to check into all the stylus suggestions, probably staying with the moving magnet. I'm also going to institute a better cleaning regimen going forward.

— K.

I'd recommend a Sumiko Blackbird high output MC cartridge.
It is both dynamic and detailed.

But...why not just replace the stylus on your 2M Black if you like that cartridge?
It would cost half of the budget you are talking about.

Al. Wise

Personally, I think the 2M Black is just about as good as an MM gets and the AT150, MP300 etc would be retrograde steps.

I have to agree with this in a way. I have the 2M Black and the MP-500 and while I think the Nagaoka is a wonderful cart., I don't think it bests the Ortofon. I find the Ortofon to be neutral and more revealing while the Nagaoka is more lush and definitely colored (in a good way, though), it's still a lot of fun. Retrograde move maybe, lateral move at the very best, I think.

I'm curious to hear more about the Blackbird vs. the 2M Black, myself. It's on my short list of possible upgrades. I friend has one that I think sounds great in his system and another mutual friend just got one, too, that I hope to be able to hear also.

Back
Top Bottom