Stephens 12" Tru-Sonic Speaker ...

Chip - HP

Are the Stephens 12" Tru-Sonic speakers worth fooling with? ... apparently some of 15" ones are ... based on eBay ...

Last edited:
Naw, you don't want to mess with them, just box them up and ship them to me for proper disposal.

Just kidding, they are very nice full range drivers. Pull one out of the cab so we can get a look see at the cone. I'm not sure of that model, seeing the cone might help.

Enjoy those great drivers.

Thanks ... there is only one ... I'll pull it on Tue and post a pic ... I am helping someone clean out a house ...

I've heard a Stephens 12" driver in an ElectroVoice style corner horn cabinet and it sounded very nice. It was mated with a tube integrated and sounded so warm and easy to listen to for extended time.

I had a single Tru Sonic 8" driver i put on Ebay once and it get real good response and I ended up selling it to a real cool guy. I guess some models have a good rep with the single driver crowd.

K

It's a 122 AX ... the "economical choice" unfortunately according to one of the brochures www-records linled to (thanks for that info) ... it cost $54 in 1954 ... can handle up to 20 watts ... the brochure says 16 ohm ... but the plate on the back says 12 ohm ... FWIW ...

Last edited:
Trusonic speakers

I recently had 2cabinet built for my 15 inch 206axa Tru Sonic drivers.Now looking for a pair of 12nnch trusonic drivers.Ralph

It's a 122 AX ... the "economical choice" unfortunately according to one of the brochures www-records linled to (thanks for that info) ... it cost $54 in 1954 ... can handle up to 20 watts ... the brochure says 16 ohm ... but the plate on the back says 12 ohm ... FWIW ...

Don't let the "economical choice" thing fool you. They are nice drivers !

One up for sale on that site for $199. A pair in cabinets just sold for $400.

I have the big brothers, the 152ax. Have one mounted in a Capozio cabinet and it sounds great. Also have some 206ax in EV Regency corner cabinets, and the earlier P52A coaxials in some home built Karlsons. All good sounding IMO.

Last edited:
lastscancoaxtru.jpg

lastscantrusonic.jpg

lastscantt.jpg

Takes me back to my teenage years. I had a three-way trusonic system built by Robert Allen based on the Klipschorn design. 12 inch woofer (Fr120) 8" midrange (80fr) and the toroid tweeter. Robert built the 15" equivalent for himself. He moved to Texas in the early 70s and that's the last I heard from him. His 15" folded corner horn was magnificent. Now he and Trusonic are gone. And they are missed.

Back
Top Bottom