Stephens Trusonic Grab

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad Muller, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Found another old set of speakers today. They are from 1958 and are loaded with Stephens FL80 full range drivers. Audition tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Leland47 and soundmotor like this.
  2. superdog

superdog AK Member

You do seem to find quite a number of desirable speakers.

3. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Ha, the ad was on craigslist for 6 days hidden in a lone picture at the end of a listing. Crazy...6 days.

4. nolasally

nolasally AK Subscriber Subscriber

Its FR not FL congrats... Hope you have some tube amps...

5. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

I started with that great 8" crossed over to an Oxford horn at 3500HZ. back in 1960. I had the 12 inch for awhile too, before switching to Altec Coronado and then Altec Carmel. 30 watts was a good match for the Stephen speakers. The bass didn't growl and the highs didn't sparkle, but the sound was nice! It was pleasing, graceful, euphonic, but far from accurate. Same for the Altecs.

6. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Should I try it out with the McIntosh gear?

darkblue94 likes this.
  7. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Yes, of course. :thumbsup:

8. drbiggles

drbiggles I like bacon Subscriber

Hey,

I've got a pair of 80FR's running in a pair of vintage custom cabinets and love them dearly. High quality recordings of jazz and vocals from the 50's and 60's melt your ear bones, very nice midrange tones and detail. But as expected, they're missing some of the sparkly highs. I added a pair of 1963 Wharfedale Super 3 Alnico tweeters that I mounted in bamboo utensil cups. Wonderful little rigs.

The cabinets needed to be completely restored, new legs installed, new grill frames and cloth.

Biggles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Retrovert, smccrary, superdog and 2 others like this.
  9. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Hey Biggles, were the bottom's of the cabinets finished in veneer? Mine were not.

10. drbiggles

These weren't, but their custom cabinets built many moons ago. My guess is sometime in the 60's, but I don't know for sure. There are 2 chambers, connected by a cardboard tube. Then, both chambers have a port coming out the front. They easily dig down into the 30Hz range somewhere, it's kinda crazy. I have a Trusonic cabinet like yours. But I got it for a vintage veneer donor cabinet. It was empty and trashed when I got it. I've got 2 matching Stephens Trusonic 80FR cabinets that look like they're from the 50's. But they don't look like yours.

Biggles

11. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

OK, next question. In the pics provided is a Stephens Trusonic Midrange 8 Model 80M Free cone speaker. I can't find this model anywhere. Am I missing something? DSCN8914.JPG

Attached Files:

12. drbiggles

Unfortunately, there's next to no real information regarding Stephens Trusonic products. Every once in a while, something will show up on ebay and I'll get a snippet as to what's may or may not be something useful. I know the 80FR (8" driver) was sold in cabinets like yours. But it was also used as a midrange for 3-way systems. This would include the 5KT bullet tweeter. It could very well be that they actually made an 80M driver that was specifically for use as a midrange. I know I've seen other drivers with a W, meant for woofers.

Your images are blurry, can't get the detail. Pull the driver and lets have a look at the cone and dust cap.

Biggles

Retrovert likes this.
  13. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

Here you go Biggles! DSCN8919.JPG

smccrary and darkblue94 like this.
  14. drbiggles

Dang, those be gorgeous cabinets and front baffle design. And that sure as hell looks like an 80FR. I've got 3 different versions in my possession, yours are dead on visually the same.

How'd the audition go?

Biggles

15. hunter00

hunter00 Super Member

Stephens surely did make the "8'm midrange i have them in my solveriegn cabinets as part of thier totl 3 way system consisting of the W15''Woofer/8'' M midrange and 5KT horn

Attached Files:

drbiggles likes this.