Stepped the game up a little today!

I am blown away by these speakers. 2 years ago I brought home a set of series 1 901s and eq. I thought they were great till I picked up a set of original large advents. Had the advents for about a year but these speakers trump them big time. Massive sound!

I just hooked them up about 4 hours ago and have them powered with the 7t pre and the dynaco Mkiii's. Tomorrow I'll try some of the solid state stuff but they are currently blowing me away.

Last week I ordered 1% Daytons in prep to recap the crossovers. Not so sure I may even put them in. I will pull the xovers and test them though just in case.

Excellent choice of TT. I can't even begin to imagine what a pair of spkrs like that sounds like man those just have to rock!

Congratulations! I know you must be enjoying yourself immensely! Mind if I ask a question or two?

1. I know that terminology describing how a speaker "sounds" is quite subjective and open to wild interpretation, but how would you best describe the sound of the Model 19s? (It's been well over thirty years since I've heard a pair of 19s, but it's always interesting to hear owner's evaluation of what they are hearing - especially on first exposure, then after a few months of experience.)

2. How's the bass response in comparison to other speakers you've owned?

3. What aspect of the 19's sound do you appreciate the most at this point?

4. What aspect of the 19's sound do you have concerns about? (If any.)

5. You may already be aware that Zilch did some extensive testing and modification of the Model 19 crossover in an effort to tame the often harsh upper midrange frequencies. That LONG journey, along with other references start here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...s-Altec-846Bs-w-EV-Tweeters!&highlight=babies

6. Will be very interested in how you "hear" the 19s once you use ss gear vs tube.

GeeDeeEmm

Congratulations! I know you must be enjoying yourself immensely! Mind if I ask a question or two?

1. I know that terminology describing how a speaker "sounds" is quite subjective and open to wild interpretation, but how would you best describe the sound of the Model 19s? (It's been well over thirty years since I've heard a pair of 19s, but it's always interesting to hear owner's evaluation of what they are hearing - especially on first exposure, then after a few months of experience.)

2. How's the bass response in comparison to other speakers you've owned?

3. What aspect of the 19's sound do you appreciate the most at this point?

4. What aspect of the 19's sound do you have concerns about? (If any.)

5. You may already be aware that Zilch did some extensive testing and modification of the Model 19 crossover in an effort to tame the often harsh upper midrange frequencies. That LONG journey, along with other references start here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...s-Altec-846Bs-w-EV-Tweeters!&highlight=babies

6. Will be very interested in how you "hear" the 19s once you use ss gear vs tube.

GeeDeeEmm

1. I can sum the sound up in one word. Big. They have a very powerful, in your face sound at higher listening levels. They are very docile at low to moderate listening levels but cover the frequency range nicely .

2. They handle bass very well. My last two sets, which I still have, are the original large advents and prior to using those were series 1 901s. I still love the OLA'S. For the price point on those, they're a no Brainer. I plan on listening to the 19s for a month or two then switching back to the ola's to see how they sound after hearing the 19s for a while. THE 901s, we'll, they're 901s and in no way can compare to a 15" LF driver.

3. At this point I appreciate the bass! It's bass you can feel and I like that. KIND of like being at the movie theater.

4. My initial concern is not too big of a deal but I feel there's a mid range gap with these. It all seems there but the midrange sounds a tad muffled.

5. I've carefully recapped the crossovers, preserving the original parts which were in spec anyhow. I used 1% Daytons. No major notable difference between the two. After the 1st was done, I switched into mono and compared l to r, just a tad bit more clarity in the highs. I plan to try the Z19 setup, GPA arraignment and other films in the originals as well. Next will be solens then maybe some Mundorfs.

6. Still haven't had them SS powered. I plan on trying them on the 3800, 510M this weekend.

Please understand I am not in any way a speaker critic.

Here's another pic. I know we all love pics!
20161210_114959.jpg

Here's a Video I took last night while giving the Model 9 it's second round of pot cleaning..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom