Stepping Up to a Singxer F-1 and more...

BigElCat

Mmm Hmm
I have a MusicHall 25.3dac with a Mullard CV2493 tube in it. I like it very much.

I noticed that the coax input sounds better than the USB input. A couple of guys here on AK suggested I try the Singxer Xmos USB to coax converter.

I was considering the Singxer SU-1. But the F-1 appears to be the exact same thing, minus the internal power supply, and the BNC connections. Let me know if there are other differences. I went ahead and ordered the F-1.

I have a Paul Pang v2 card in my PC. I ordered a bracket that will allow the Paul Pang to connect to an external 5vdc power supply. This power supply will also power the Singxer F-1 via the USB cable (a Pangea).

I've sourced a low noise wall wart 5vdc power supply. I haven't order it yet.

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/ifi-ipower-outboard-supply

Any thoughts on this power supply ? Am I on the right track ?

IFi makes excellent power supplies, I've heard people like the linear talemas inside a small chassis you can get on eBay for $50-60

I use a nice 3 port USB 3.0 pci-e card that gets 12v via molex from an astron LPS plugged into a panamax power conditioner, I'd like to think its as sufficient as a Paul pang card, but who knows.

The most important part is decoupling the 5v going to USB from the mobo bus, I am a proponent for USB over cat6 as well because both sides of the NIC are galvanically isolated. You can go look at PS Audios new lanrover product, some claim its just a high performance USB over cat 6 rebranded.

I use a active usb over cat6 from my pci-e card to my gustard u12 interface spdif out into my dac. I'm sure I will grab a su-1 or f-1 at some point the new xmos is great.

I have been told its not a HUGE upgrade over the gustard u12/breeze audio u8 and kingwas offerings but most people I know prefer the new xmos

Last edited:
PC with Windows 10. I use WMP.

I looked into Wasapi, couldn't figure it out. I don't even know what ASIO is.

Sounds like your Windows audio stack may do some unwanted re-sampling hence the difference in SQ between USB and Coax. Before you drop any money on new gear try to get bit-accurate stream to your DAC, that may well be the problem here, Singxer or not you need to get the basics covered first.

WASAPI and ASIO are two types of drivers for USB. WASAPI takes direct control of the hardware (exclusive mode) and it was used for earlier versions of Windows to play high res files.

I thought they were interface-agnostic, so not only USB. But it doesn't change much for the purpose of this discussion. In better audio players than WMP, e.g. Foobar, you can select ASIO or Wasapi as your output device, then the stream goes directly to your hardware bypassing additional processing unlike when you use default sound device in Windows. For ASIO you need a driver for your DAC from the manufacturer, not all supply ASIO drivers. There is ASIO4ALL, which is an ASIO interface over Windows drivers. Wasapi should be an easier way to go now it is supported natively in Windows.

That was a year ago, I had to refresh my memory.

I don't use WASAPI because it does not work with Windows Media Player. They say Vista was the only Microsoft OS/ Media Player that could use WASAPI.

And I don't want to ditch WMP.

That was a year ago, I had to refresh my memory.

I don't use WASAPI because it does not work with Windows Media Player. They say Vista was the only Microsoft OS/ Media Player that could use WASAPI.

And I don't want to ditch WMP.

Here is a useful article I found, same ideas apply to other hardware not just Emotiva:
https://emotiva.com/resources/updates/Configuring_WASAPI_Mode_in_Audio_Players.pdf

You can at least try a WASAPI-capable player such as Foobar2000 and see if it sounds better through WASAPI than WMP, if so then Sinxer isn't going to help with WMP.

As for keeping WMP I came across some info that WMP is incapable of producing bit-accurate playback in principle due to the fact it outputs floating-point numbers, can't confirm if it is actually true. Some things to try:

1. There appears to be a ASIO plugin for WMP, you can try that at least. If your DAC doesn't come with a ASIO driver there is ASIO4ALL which pretends to be a ASIO driver but delegates to the actual Windows driver internally.
2. If the WMP ASIO plugin is no-longer there is a donation-ware program called ASIO Bridge, it installs a new playback device called "Hi-Fi Cable Input", you set it as default in Windows, the ASIO bridge then can relay the stream coming into this device to an ASIO driver (native if available or ASIO4ALL) bypassing Windows mixer. I use it on W7, works great.
3. Afaik JRiver comes with a similar ASIO redirector as #2, same idea, it installs a new device and can then forward to an actual ASIO driver. You can try it instead of #2.
4. If everything else fails at least make sure your playback device's sample rate matches your music material (you get to this through Control Panel->Manage Audio Devices->Playback Device Properties->Advanced Tab in W7, W10 is likely similar), i.e. if you play CDs ripped to Flac set it to 44.1 kHz, the bit-depth can be wider (e.g. 24 vs. 16) it shouldn't harm. Also disable Windows sounds and set device and system volume to 100%. However this is still no guarantee Windows mixer won't change the data, but it is the best you can do without WASAPI/ASIO.

As for determining Coax sounding better than USB, does your computer have a Coax SPDIF output or you used a CDP or another source?

I've listened to Shawn Colvin, Paul Simon, and Billy Pilgrim via WASAPI. It blows the doors off of WMP.

I have been missing out. Everybody said, "ditch WMP"...now I understand why.

I'm going to try JRiver next. Foobar2000 is not intuitive to navigate.

not many of these players are intuitive, foobar has a great wiki that explains everything.

I use Jriver and I find it's great for whole home networked audio, I have libraries of lossless scattered around on different PC/Servers so it's nice to bring it all together.

Jriver you can use WASAPI natively. WASAPI is actually how windows treats your audio device, it makes it so that your dac/interface will get an unmodified stream of data. opposed to having window's and player proprietary DSP injected into the stream.

so in theory you can use WASAPI on any player in windows 8+

btw what power supply are you using for the paul pang card?

I have WASAPI enabled in Foobar and JRiver. It can't be used in Windows 10 WMP, as far as I can figure out.

My Paul Pang card is powered directly from the PC PSU via a molex plug.

I need a power supply for both the Paul Pang and Singxer. I'm looking at iFi , and Acopian brands.

I have WASAPI enabled in Foobar and JRiver. It can't be used in Windows 10 WMP, as far as I can figure out.

My Paul Pang card is powered directly from the PC PSU via a molex plug.

I need a power supply for both the Paul Pang and Singxer. I'm looking at iFi , and Acopian brands.

if your using the singxer F-1 the only way to use an external powers upply is to get a Y USB cable that divides power & data. data goes into your PC and power goes into a 5v supply.

upgrading the PSU for your paul pang card is worthwhile.. you want as much decoupling from the mobo bus/PC PSU as possible. I use an astron linear power supply for my vantec USB 3.0 PCI card (ghetto paul pang)

The USB cable from the Paul Pang v 2 provides power to the Singxer F-1. The power supplied to the Paul Pang, also goes to the F-1.

This power is divorced from the mobo bus. I'll look into Astron.

yea sorry misunderstood. When I said external PSU i meant power supplied outside of the actual 5v from the port

some prefer to isolate everything

It's DSD ready...it even has a LED indicator labeled DSD.

My DAC is DSD ready, too.

I think I'll stick with FLAC. :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom