Stereo Coffee LDR

rogerfederer

determined amateur
Subscriber
So a pal of mine has built up an amazing system. Bel Canto DAC, big Thiels, Pass mono blocks, high end cabling. One missing element has been a good pre. He had an Audible Illusions Modulus 3 but it needed an overhaul (a simple passive sounded better in a shoot out). Then he used an earlier DAC as his pre. Recently I went to hear his latest: a DIY pass preamp -- bride of zen. it had an exotic volume pot: described as R to R. something like this, i'm guessing: http://www.amb.org/audio/delta1/

anyways, the whole system sounded beyond amazing. he played Kid A, my favorite radiohead album and i heard tons of detail i'd never heard before and i've listened to that album hundreds of times.

so, that got me thinking about my gear and how i could take a step forward. which led me to thinking about volume pots. i've tried passive preamps. a nice DIY pre i bought on BT and a creek OBH-12. i also built a pass B1. after some research about TVCs and LDRs i decided to try a stereo coffee LDR. this is a simple LDR based pre with 3 inputs and 1 output. LDR is used for volume attenuation (there is no gain) and switching between the inputs. why stereo coffee? the price point is pretty attractive for something fully built, i found some glowing reviews on threads (mostly the absolute sound), and the seller seems available and supportive.

it arrived last thursday. here are some pics: http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/f8UCD4Mf/1/7187009 they show the box, unit, my rig and the B1 it replaced.

the sound? so far amazing. very detailed; dead quiet; uncomfortably revealing. i've tried 3 amps with it. it made a hum in my lance cochrane 6L6 amp unbearable, the elekit wasn't detailed enough. for the moment i'm using a TPA 3116 dual chip with an astron power supply. the attenuation and input switching work perfectly so far.

i'm now going to try a TVC and see how that stacks up. i talked to a friend who has tried both and read a lot of threads; varying opinions on which is better. so far the LDR is awesome, so i might as well see what the TVC is all about too.

Last edited:
I love my TVC, but am still tempted by the new kid on the block, the Hornshoppe 'The Truth', which is neither TVC, nor LDR, but something new entirely, supposedly.

One of these days...

:music:

I love my TVC, but am still tempted by the new kid on the block, the Hornshoppe 'The Truth', which is neither TVC, nor LDR, but something new entirely, supposedly.

One of these days...

:music:
Theophile uses one and swears by it.
Regards,
Jim

Still happy with it
I did build a TVC using the intact audio modules; has a slightly different flavor to it compared to the LDR but level of detail seems to be the same
I very slightly prefer the TVC
The stereo coffee is a super deal: well built; not had any problems; 3 inputs and switching works great
There was a burn in with the TVC and none with the LDR

I've found that the quality and value of a simple attenuation pot makes all the difference in a minimalist system.
Likewise, the selector switch will make or break the SQ of an otherwise well-appointed passive controller. Do NOT assume that gold contacts are a qualifier without auditioning in and out of circuit, or the word of a trusted colleague. This I know from experience.

I've found that the quality and value of a simple attenuation pot makes all the difference in a minimalist system.
Likewise, the selector switch will make or break the SQ of an otherwise well-appointed passive controller. Do NOT assume that gold contacts are a qualifier without auditioning in and out of circuit, or the word of a trusted colleague. This I know from experience.
Recommend a great selector switch for me please.

Recommend a great selector switch for me please.
When I put my passive together early 1980's, a simple open contact DP6P wafer rotary from Radio Shack passed muster and is still in service. It has required occasional deoxit treatment, as has the pot.

I can recommend that any prospective switch candidate be tested in line with the attenuation device to be used for relative transparency. Usually, the fewer assembled parts in series in the switch, the better, and silver plate, if any, with a non audible protectant is preferred. The RS switch wasn't silvered, fwiw. The pot I'm still using is a 10k X2 Noble black stepper. It likes a fairly robust line drive, but do the math. 10k on top of a typical power amp input 'z' isn't that difficult a load at full on.

I have to admit I clicked on this thread specifically because it had the words coffee and stereo, two of my favourite things. Alas, it's a pre kit of some sort, pretty neat, but nothing to do with coffee!

I have to admit that I clicked on this thread specifically because it had the words LDR and stereo, two of my favourite things. Thankfully it is a pre kit of some sort, pretty neat, I have nothing to do with coffee.

Back
Top Bottom