Stereo HT - Soundbar/base vs bookshelf vs vintage?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by silentalibi, Sep 12, 2018.

1. silentalibi

silentalibi New Member

Hey guys! Brand new here, hope you don’t mind me posting.

Looking for some advice as I’ll be moving into a new place with a larger living room, thus upgrading our home theatre audio quality.

Audio wise, currently own:
    • Yamaha RXV379 receiver
    • 2x Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (to be replaced)
    I wondered if you guys could suggest the best compromise of small scale and great sound for up to $500? For the speakers only, as I’ll probably stick to my Yamaha unless strongly dissuaded. Don’t need earth-shattering power as I don’t want to annoy the new neighbours up and downstairs, so needs to deliver decent performance at reasonable everyday levels.

I work in feature films (VFX) so movies and TV are very important, with music being second priority.

Definitely after a 2.1 solution - have been categorically told no surround sound by the wife, I.e no wires running around and no wall mounting. (trust me, this is set in stone and not a battle I want to die on). I’m still in trouble for getting the Wharfedale floorstanding “monstrosities”, so pretty sure I’m not allowed those kind again either ;p

I’ve tested the Canton DM55 soundbase that was so well reviewed, and was left pretty underwhelmed.

Considering the Q Acoustics 3020i or the Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2 small bookshelves. Are these any good, with a woofer? I’d have better chances getting spousal approval on bigger bookshelves if they were beautiful-looking, which is why I’m also considering vintage speakers such as the Dynaco A25 or Boston Acoustics A60.

Please help me out :)

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

You can go pretty small with the bookshelf speakers if you can add a subwoofer. You just need to find a way to hide it. Just tell her you really want something larger than the wharfdales...but can negotiate ;)

3. PianotunerNJ

PianotunerNJ Active Member

For under $500 you might do better to just add a decent sub, stick with everything else. If you have a bigger room, put the Wharfdales on stands for best positioning, listening height, etc. then play with sub positioning and crossover points to dial in best sound. I highly recommend SVS sealed sub for good movie rumble and highly accurate and tight music reproduction, they start around $300/400 I think. You would be amazed how much more you can get from the smaller speakers when bass duty is removed from them, and how much fuller and more enjoyable music is when the bass is tight, accurate and deep, and the higher frequency ranges rest comfortably on a stable, tight foundation of bass.

Plus, it would be a much better full setup than you could replace for similar money. Frankly, IMHO, if you’ve only listened to your Wharfdales without a sub, they will probably sound a lot better and louder with a properly set up sub and you may find new enthusiasm for them.

4. imral3

imral3 Super Member

Is the little lady making you get rid of the Wharfedales? Also, she refers to them as floor-standing "monstrosities" but, the Diamond 10.1 is a bookshelf speaker. Did you possibly mistype the model?