Stereo/phonograph (record player) coffee table search

Spiffymoo

Hi not sure where to post this question...Growing up all the way up to my first home I had an I'm guessing 1960-70s console coffee table. I'm looking to buy another but can't find any one close to the one I had. It was short foax wood. The speakers were located on each end not the front. The side had a section if you push in on it at the bottom it would flip out to expose the radio controls, flip it back in then pull on the bottom it would roll out for the record player. It had I believe two speakers in each end I know this because when it lost all "bass" apon inspection I realized to get the"bass"out of the larger speaker it utilized a type of resistor to filter out frequency's producing "treble". When the resistor burned out the speaker thus forth sounded distorted. I've found some with drawers no radio. None with speakers on the ends. And none with the flip out controls in a coffee table form. This was a short legged table no higher mid shin and long like a modern coffee table. If any one could help me know the name a photo of it a link some thing I'd really appreciate it thanks.

I know my drawings are crude sorry
Flipped open
sketch-1548662228850.png drawer opensketch-1548664107043.png
Thisis similar to the speakers in the endvintage-stereo-console-turntable-ge_1_4089d80f98938d9aafd7abf516b42516.jpg

Not sure where to put this either. Going to move it to General Audio. Definitely not a tuner related subject.

I knew someone who had a GE coffee table console with a pull-out Garrard changer. She was showing me how it operated once and while a record was playing she pushed the changer back into the drawer :rolleyes:. Needless to say the Garrard didn’t like that very much as the arm skated across the record! It looked kind of like this one except the Garrard changer slid into a drawer instead of flipping up:

mid-century-ge-stereo-console-8328

Side firing woofers kind of sounds more like a Magnavox though, that was their style on most console units. They made many different styles of “consolettes” including end table units so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a Magnavox coffee table unit too.

If you grew up in Canada it may have been an Electrohome model too, they were big into console units of all styles but they were more common in Canada than the US.

Last edited:
They were made by many companies, GE, RCA, Motorola, Airline and Magnavox etc.. The only one I can think of that had a flip out radio panel was the Truetone from Western Auto, they made a couple of styles, longish coffee table with speakers on each end and a hexagonal shaped model.

Like this one. I'm starting restoration on it. This is the 3rd one I've done. The first one with a tube amp. The others were solid state

Attachments

• 20230917_081200.jpg
    20230917_081200.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230917_081206.jpg
    20230917_081206.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230917_081216.jpg
    20230917_081216.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom