Stereo Review Magazine - Back issues finally available online!

A few years ago, I was able to buy Stereo Review magazines that were bound, like a book with 6 issues in each one (1973 to 1986). They were from a public library in Virginia and a college library in California.

After down loading all the buyer guides from 1975 until 1988 I can't find the RtR Series 2 d at all.. ..
What years were they produced , was it prior to 1975 ?
It must have been....

????

Just read this. Thank you so much. I used to read every issue in the late sixties on. Filling my hard drive with some pdf's....

I'm years late to the party but I'm mighty glad to have found this thread today. Reading the first issue I opened was literally, visually, and emotionally a trip back in time for me. I'm sure I'll be spending many hours re-reading those reviews and articles that I enjoyed reading so much from the late '70s until the late '80s. First read about Dire Straits on a Steve Simels rock review in '78, when my eldest child was one year old. He's now 42. Waiting for the next copy to come in the mail was a small part of my life then, lol! I actually have a few copies in a cabinet but foolishly threw away most of the mags when we moved.
Thanks to Cardozo250 and to david@americanradiohistory.com for your generosity!

It's interesting that I remember Stereo Review as an equipment magazine, but looking through these issues it seems to have a lot more emphasis on music and artists than I recall.

The HiFi magazines in that era, paid as much attention to the music and the artists and musicians as much as they did the equipment. High Fidelity, Stereo Review, and Audio equally. They dealt in all aspects of audio, hardware, the records and tapes, in depth articles about singers, musicians, composers, orchestras, in every genre imaginable. Such magazines for me were major parts of my musical education and musical appreciation, and broadening my musical tastes. Either of these 3 magazines was a major education and a pleasure to have at my disposal in this era. Some perspectives and thoughts. Being in radio, I knew who to ask to get copies of the records which interested me, either free or as low as $2 for one or two copies.

It's been interesting going through these Stereo Review issues of the late Sixties and early seventies to see the change from being only interested in Classical and covering "Popular" music at a distance to recognizing rock as a worthy pursuit.

It's been interesting going through these Stereo Review issues of the late Sixties and early seventies to see the change from being only interested in Classical and covering "Popular" music at a distance to recognizing rock as a worthy pursuit.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Also interesting to go back to late 50s/early 60's Audio mags and see that "audiophile" was indeed someone basically into classical/opera and to see the evolution (or devolution, ha, as many would see it) to people seriously into audio gear being fans of "pop" music. Look at 1972 Stereo Review letters -- giant dust-up about putting the popular reviews before the classical reviews!

However, what I find most amusing are the album reviews -- many, many releases that have been well-loved and respected since the seventies are absolutely shredded in a three or four sentence dismissal of a review.

Exile on Main Street? crap!
Sgt Peppers? allright if you're a teenybopper into this kind of thing.....
etc, funny as hell

Within the last 24 hours, some generous individual over at americanradiohistory.com has finally posted back issues of Stereo Review Magazine. This is big news as Stereo Review has never been available online, save for a few odd scanned pages here and there. For the first time, whole issues are available, including those from the 1977-1980 era.

The search function does not yet seem to be working yet for the recent issues, although I'm sure this will be fixed in time.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm

Wow.. now that's quite interesting!

Back
Top Bottom