Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

This entire discussion blows my mind. I find it hard to believe that guys who are married and probably work hard to pay for the house they live in aren't allowed to have a stero system wherever they want to put it. Their wives have some sort of absolute veto. Why would you marry someone like that in the first place?
Keeping this light. It is NONE of my business. Ever been married?

...Heck, I'd even paint the walls a color to make the stereo equipment stand out if someone said no matter what that they didn't like the look of it and acted like they never would.

The nerve of some people.....

Indeed, the nerve of some people.

Never been married. Almost, one time, but I came to my senses. But if I was married and my wife was trying to veto the placement of my stereo system, she'd be getting a divorce.

I have a friend with a wife that's not so understanding.. I'm getting ready to move and gave him a stereo system. Nice stuff. Anyway, from what I can tell, he's not even allowed to turn it on 99% of the time because it "bothers" his wife. It's not my business, I guess, but It's still hard to believe. Why live like that?

As reading similar threads over the years, I think you'll find most of the tough talkers have had or would have had their share of woman/relationship challenges regardless of stereo - or, are just jerking the chain while behind the scenes themselves compromising.

The battle over the stereo is, IMO, likely a symptom of bigger underlying problems anyway. It's probably better in the big picture many of them are on their own with the stereo in those cases. No doubt they agree too.

I live where housing is relatively cheap, so planning for a dedicated room can be managed by some. I realize, places like NYC this may not be possible, even for the affluent. Best solution for me. Playing it in front of wife knowing she would rather watch TV, takes fun out of it. Separate room lets me listen all I want, without the stress.

This entire discussion blows my mind. I find it hard to believe that guys who are married and probably work hard to pay for the house they live in aren't allowed to have a stero system wherever they want to put it. Their wives have some sort of absolute veto. Why would you marry someone like that in the first place?

This might be the most presumptuous post I've read in months.

Even assuming a 'traditional' family, where only the father works while the mother is a homemaker and cares for the children, why, in your mind, does the father's role give him absolute say on what is placed in the home?

Never been married. Almost, one time, but I came to my senses. But if I was married and my wife was trying to veto the placement of my stereo system, she'd be getting a divorce.

I have a friend with a wife that's not so understanding.. I'm getting ready to move and gave him a stereo system. Nice stuff. Anyway, from what I can tell, he's not even allowed to turn it on 99% of the time because it "bothers" his wife. It's not my business, I guess, but It's still hard to believe. Why live like that?

Perhaps because he values things differently than you do?

Absolute say? Well, it's not like the original poster wanted to work on his motorcycle in the living room..... He wanted to install a pair of speakers.

Anyway, I guess it's not my problem.

Yah know....

I know all about putting the needs of others before myself, I ran a family gas staition from age fifteen until I was twenty-one. Doing for others comes with a compromise. A relationship between people shouldn't be a totalitarian political arrangement. No one has a final say and no one has the right to restrict another persons choices. A woman can not have the complete control of anything or how anything happens and neither does a man. If a person does not understand why a person needs to do something for themselves as in a stereo or building a car, that person does not wish to understand others. People that are afraid of being hurt by others often dominate others to the point of submission. Happens to people that come from broken homes and it's called being henpecked..... I've seen guys that couldn't associate with their high school friends because his wife didn't like them. Look what happened to the Beatles....some people exhort too much influence and control over others.

There's quite a difference between being henpecked, and arriving at a compromise in the main room stereo. IMO, of course.

Certainly, there must be guys who are married that aren't bossed around by their wives to the point where they can't even set up a pair of speakers. It's sad, when you think about it. And with that, I'll shut up.

Steady pressure is the key. My wife hates my hifi equipment with a passion, but guess who bought my main speakers?

At the end of it, the cave might not be the quietest room in the house, but at least she knows what I'm doing. Better the cave than the cathouse?

I guess I got lucky with my wife. She could care less about my stereo setup. She just rolls her eyes and smiles She even jokes about scoring some nice gear at the local thrifts. Love you Baby!!!

My solution?
I put together a good (basic) system for my wife's best friend. She delights in commenting on the "BEST STEREO SHE HAS EVER OWNED!"
How can my wife complain about my crazy hobby when her best friend insists it's "GREAT"?

Plus.... When I hooked up the infinity kappa 8s, I put on Joni Mitchell; "Turbulent Indigo ", and she listened, assessed and said "Not fair."

YES! We're in!!!
Now, every morning, she does her yoga and revels in the awesome sound rolling across the carpeted floor...

Huh. I have a pair of Magneplanar 1.7s in the family room.

Wife picked them out and came with me on the road trip to pick them up.

She listens to them more than I do.

I have LaScalas, Chorus II's and DCM QED's in out living room, my wife is cool about it and never complained... :)

Both of my ex-wives had no problem with my addiction to decent sound. In fact the first wife played music louder than I did. The second simply liked the way my system sounded. A SO that objected to me having a stereo would not be a SO for long. However, I'm reminded of my brother in law. When I told him I'd never marry a woman who didn't like my addiction audio equipment and would only hook up with someone who had no problem with my gear. He told me that was all well and good but many women change once they get married.

Because likely both members of the relationship don't know who the **** they are as persons, let alone know who the other is. Those raging emotions, feelings, hormones, "new relationship energy" just blinds them. Very often one person pretends to be someone they aren't just to set the hook into the other. But once the ball and chain is in place, the mask comes off. And it can be pretty ****in ugly underneath.

Ask me how I know. Well, don't ask.

Cheers:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom