Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

For once I'd love to hear about HAF instead of WAF. But I always wonder about these husbands that have no... I once had a friend who was an excellent guitarist who gave it up because his live-in girlfriend was jealous of the time he spent with it. I would have played 'I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better' by the Byrds at top volume while she was walking out the door...

I must have an understanding wife. I get away with putting stuff in the dining room no problem. All she asks is that tell her when I'm putting stuff in, rather than it just appearing....

I also fill the media shelves with Madonna, Tiffany, Kylie Minogue etc etc so she feels included in the process :)

Tell her if you can't set up your stereo in the living room then you're going to put this in the back yard
REPGratefulDeadWallSound.jpg

Also you no longer can afford to send the kids to college (or feed them)

Easy. Get your 2 year old into music and get him loving it. Then just tell your SO it's for the children. Its also a helpful excuse when you buy more gear too

A Bose Lifestyle soundbar system?
My Mother has one and loves it....
Just kidding...... but she really does have one and loves it.
What can I say? It's Mom.

So, how does everybody make their stereo systems tolerable for a not so understanding spouse or significant other? Reason I ask is this- I want to set up a listening area that doesn't involve the TV. Half of my living room/great room is largely unused, and I wanted to set it up as a listening area. Bought a 4x4 Expedit shelf to house my growing vinyl and existing CD collection, was going to put turntable, cd player and receiver on top, with speakers on the side. Wife tells me she doesn't like how it looks. Speakers are too big. I toss the idea of bookshelf speakers and sub, and can even mount speakers to the wall so they are up out of the way. Her response- "there has to be a better way". I mention built-in speakers, to which she also thinks there needs to be a better way. She wants me to have an invisible system. We have no furniture on this side of the room to hide speakers, not that I want them hidden anyway. I might as well move my entire setup to the garage. Ideas? I have included a pic of what I am considering that she is not keen on.

Oh man, she's not keen on that ultra simple setup?
I just see a 70's silver face receiver and 2 speakers.
Hardly much there to offend anyone.
No dual TT setup?
No multiple amps?
No wires across the floor covered by throw rugs?
My whole living room is nothing but one big listening area with gear swapped in and out ever now and then.
My brother installed 4 ceiling speakers in his house, some nice sounding 8in 3 way botique flush mounts to go with his Fluance floostanders and it sounds like a concert hall.
Of course both of us are bachelors. Probably for life since we are both avid music listeners.
Good luck my man. You are facing an eternal dilemma....

Though this ship has sailed for the OP, i think there is a simple lesson for all the uncommitted men (and perhaps women ) here. DATE/MARRY MUSIC LOVERS!!!!!!! Especially ones that like to dance since a good system facilitates it nicely. There are plenty of things that aren't deal-breakers when it comes to relationships. This isn't one of them,

Not a wife but a live in GF. And haven't replaced her yet but it sure as hell will be someone that enjoys music as much as me. But with the house I bought, detached garage/barn and storage shed I think I might have enough room now. It sucks moving 20,000 friggin records. :)

So, how does everybody make their stereo systems tolerable for a not so understanding spouse or significant other? Reason I ask is this- I want to set up a listening area that doesn't involve the TV. Half of my living room/great room is largely unused, and I wanted to set it up as a listening area. Bought a 4x4 Expedit shelf to house my growing vinyl and existing CD collection, was going to put turntable, cd player and receiver on top, with speakers on the side. Wife tells me she doesn't like how it looks. Speakers are too big. I toss the idea of bookshelf speakers and sub, and can even mount speakers to the wall so they are up out of the way. Her response- "there has to be a better way". I mention built-in speakers, to which she also thinks there needs to be a better way. She wants me to have an invisible system. We have no furniture on this side of the room to hide speakers, not that I want them hidden anyway. I might as well move my entire setup to the garage. Ideas? I have included a pic of what I am considering that she is not keen on.

Did You have a large system when You and Your Wife first got together..........seems like You're the Only One Changing/Giving Up Things throughout Your Life Why???

See what Her Interest are and Get Her Involved with something She Likes or Something Both of You can do Together......Marriage is a Give & Take Partnership but it Seems You're the Only One Giving and Your Wife is Taking.

If Your Marriage is Important to You and Your Wife.........this can be Worked out so Both of You are Happy.

Good Luck Brother with whatever You end up doing.......Life is Way too Short Enjoy Every Day.

Take Care, Mike. :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom