1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by xs650shawn, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

I recently transformed a truly ugly section of nasty old unfinished basement into a cozy little mancave/listening room. I call it "my mental health center" .... Nobody but ME has to look at it :)

upload_2017-9-28_17-23-37.png

upload_2017-9-28_17-25-32.png

upload_2017-9-28_17-26-34.png

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Johnny 007

Johnny 007 Active Member

Looks good. It can be fun to redo a basement. I did that once and it was my favorite place in the house. Fireplace, stereo, home theater, shuffleboard table, etc.

sfox52 likes this.
  3. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Very nice. That's the solution right there. Unfortunately only a lucky few have the space to pull that off.

sfox52 likes this.
  4. superjojo

superjojo Active Member

That's the spirit, leave her upstairs... she doesn't have a say in what happens in the basement.

If you have a walkout, you can get other women and liquor down there easily.

5. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

LOL I have the same thing going on in the garage or as it's now known.... THE TARDIS....

MaxxVolume likes this.
  6. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I once had 11 motorcycles in the garage. My wife 'once' commented that the day she can't fit her car in the garage she's going to find another place to live. I said you had better start looking now.

7. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Super Member

LOL....... : o

Difficult for me to pull off ... as the "party place" is the garage... she uses it regularly...

8. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does the stripper pole raise suspicions ? :)

9. Ol' Ken

Ol' Ken Super Member

I had that problem amongst others...gotta new wife. She buys me records and CDs etc etc. She just gave me a cheque to get a Bluesound Node 2 for an early Christmas pressy because my SB3 cratered.

MaxxVolume likes this.
  10. Gmm213

Gmm213 New Member

Theres an easy solution to this... marry a stripper. Then shes the one who wants the pole.

11. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Just how often does that work out well? :confused:

12. Gmm213

Gmm213 New Member

It's all about finding one that isn't a pshyco hose beast that buys you severed heads. Im going on 5 years and I'm still not sure if mine is one or not.

frankbooth, darkblue94 and John James like this.
  13. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Super Member

nAHHHHH..... lol.

I just tell her its a fast way for me to get down to the ground floor from the overhead crawl space... lol : o !!!

14. WhiteNoize

WhiteNoize Member

I went through this same issue with my wife. I have a ton of equipment and she hated all of it. My solution was to convert our detached garage into my man cave. Downside is I lost my work area and storage for my Harley. Upside is my wife leaves me alone about it now. I insulated the walls, ran more power and dry-walled it. Cut a hole in the wall for a large AC unit because it gets triple digits here in SoCal. Installed a 120" screen, projector, 7.2 surround, audio cabinet and desk with my tube gear plus another set of speakers and sub for stereo listening. Worked for me.

MaxxVolume likes this.
  15. enginedr

enginedr Well-Known Member

I am blessed my wife supports my audio passion . My wife's son moved to Georgia . This last week we went to visit him . My wife bought my an early birthday present a Room Play Reference Session at Jim Smiths home . It was a enlightening experience .

16. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

I'd say you should be able to park the Harley in the living room. :D

WhiteNoize likes this.

17. WhiteNoize

WhiteNoize Member

I'll have to run that by her. :thumbsup:

darkblue94 likes this.
  18. rdka

rdka Active Member

Very very nice birthday present. Superior in many ways to the typical clothing nd so forth gifts that last maybe 5 years. That info from Jim is worth a lifetime---how many gifts can make that claim?

enginedr likes this.
  19. holyman772

holyman772 Super Member

Sounds awesome. Can u share some pics of this slice of heaven you've created for yourself?

20. xs650shawn

xs650shawn Active Member

Wow. Surprised people are still referencing my original post on this. This issue was resolved long ago, new home, new stereo equipment, and I now have listening areas in the house and detached garage. My wife always understood how much music means to me, and we put our heads together to come up with a workable solution, which is how it should be in a healthy marriage, and I didn't have to give up a thing!