Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

It just shows that the problem is not that unique. My wife also belongs to the "not so understanding" ones but I am standing my ground and always use the right arguments in conversations. To me a compromise would be a great solution to the problem but it looks like it just doesn't work with some people. My wife's logic: an antique piece of furniture is OK to bring home but speakers are not. Having no space on any of the shelves in the house due to nick knacks and vases is OK but stand with headphones is "out of the question". Hmm?

I HAVE TWO EX-WIVES WHO THOUGHT THEY CALLED THE SHOTS- now I have a wife of 15 years who says things like ''I don't care how big those amps are,they are freakin gorgeous!'' and ''they DO sound better with that set of speakers than the others!'' you are NOT selling this pair! Gentlemen-true love Can be found.
I got lucky. Found that one first. She's still gives me grief about selling the Dahlquist DQ-12's

2) Move the Expedit but find a nice buffet/sideboard piece where you can place your stereo and some of your better vinyl. You can always bring other albums out to listen to or rotate them.

Yeah I definitely think something lower slung would look better especially in regards to the placement of the receiver and turntable which both seem really high up. Can't imagine placing a record on that table and dropping the needle with much comfort.

I will not sanction such buffoonery. My wife feels the same. The sooner people stop that buffoonery the better for humankind.

Was (sort of) worth trudging through 17 pages of lectures just to retrieve this little gem
index.php

Agreement from me on Yamaha's post..its bad enough every TV ad features the feeble IDIOT submissive husband, I point this out to anyone that will listen..
My wife is supportive to a fault...nothing more pitiful than a grown man "hiding" purchased items from a spouse because they will be in trouble...for God's sake , grow a pair, and learn how to be in a relationship with somebody that actually likes you because you are your whole self..not some pile of scared feelings.

When I get a wife if I bring a piece of gear home and it is not due to me hoarding or out of space the gear will stay.

So, how does everybody make their stereo systems tolerable for a not so understanding spouse or significant other? Reason I ask is this- I want to set up a listening area that doesn't involve the TV. Half of my living room/great room is largely unused, and I wanted to set it up as a listening area. Bought a 4x4 Expedit shelf to house my growing vinyl and existing CD collection, was going to put turntable, cd player and receiver on top, with speakers on the side. Wife tells me she doesn't like how it looks. Speakers are too big. I toss the idea of bookshelf speakers and sub, and can even mount speakers to the wall so they are up out of the way. Her response- "there has to be a better way". I mention built-in speakers, to which she also thinks there needs to be a better way. She wants me to have an invisible system. We have no furniture on this side of the room to hide speakers, not that I want them hidden anyway. I might as well move my entire setup to the garage. Ideas? I have included a pic of what I am considering that she is not keen on.
I have had many problems with spouse approval as well. What I did was take up an additional hobby; woodworking. I can now build very attractive cabinets, speakers, bookshelfs and anything else necessary to make the stereo system accepted.
Of course, this was after thousands spent on woodworking tools.

Agreement from me on Yamaha's post..its bad enough every TV ad features the feeble IDIOT submissive husband, I point this out to anyone that will listen..
My wife is supportive to a fault...nothing more pitiful than a grown man "hiding" purchased items from a spouse because they will be in trouble...for God's sake , grow a pair, and learn how to be in a relationship with somebody that actually likes you because you are your whole self..not some pile of scared feelings.

Your post inspired me. I followed your advice. I grew a pair. I told her I wanted to buy some interconnect cables for $375 of my own hard earned money.
When I woke up, I didn't know what day it is. But her boyfriend Hi-Fived me, and said I was awesome. Thanks, FOH Engineer.

When I get a wife if I bring a piece of gear home and it is not due to me hoarding or out of space the gear will stay.

Your post inspired me. I followed your advice. I grew a pair. I told her I wanted to buy some interconnect cables for $375 of my own hard earned money.
When I woke up, I didn't know what day it is. But her boyfriend Hi-Fived me, and said I was awesome. Thanks, FOH Engineer.

LOL...... LOL..... !!

While no doubt many of the older members here will defend the institution of marriage, I'm sorta like Mae West on this (although I'm married myself).

"Marriage is a beautiful institution, but I'm not ready for an institution."

:biggrin:

All jokes aside, I dearly love my wife, but I don't see men getting much out of the deal nowadays. And the media portrayal of men (nearly always white males, at that) is deplorable.
I for one have had more than enough of it.

And then there's the portrayal I've seen creeping in commercials of late of mild cuckoldry.

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me. :beatnik::p

While no doubt many of the older members here will defend the institution of marriage, I'm sorta like Mae West on this (although I'm married myself).

"Marriage is a beautiful institution, but I'm not ready for an institution."

:biggrin:

All jokes aside, I dearly love my wife, but I don't see men getting much out of the deal nowadays. And the media portrayal of men (nearly always white males, at that) is deplorable.
I for one have had more than enough of it.

And then there's the portrayal I've seen creeping in commercials of late of mild cuckoldry.

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me. :beatnik::p

Of course it's a bad deal for men. Very much so. Just the other ay one of my friends was telling me that he wanted to retire but that he "can't." He can't because he has a wife that seems to think she has her very own slave who has to go to work every day to earn money so that she can continue to have a certain lifestyle. Fancy cars, a big house, spa visits, vacations, a maid to do the housework, etc.... And this is the same woman who won't let him play his stereo because it "bothers" her. Around me, she'd last about five minutes...

I tried to tell him that it's his choice, really. It's easy enough to get a divorce. Anyway, for that reason I don't really feel sorry for him. He choses the life on a daily basis.

I tried to tell him that it's his choice, really. It's easy enough to get a divorce. Anyway, for that reason I don't really feel sorry for him. He choses the life on a daily basis.

You're absolutely right, of course, but--in support of what James says above--mass media portrayals engage in a lot of shaming with regard to men in general, but in particular men who aren't toeing the line 'properly' in the traditional sense. Or who have simply found their own way however. While women who 'buck the system' are lauded every which way. I'm reminded of Milhouse van Houten's parents on the Simpsons. Father is made out a loser whose life is ruined by the divorce while mom is liberated and parties the rest of her life.

latest

Kirk van Houten ends up here. "Bachelor Arms has a high rate of suicides."

Let that be a warning to you all!

I once started a thread here about the movement known as mgtow. I was roundly and soundly screamed out of town.

Now, I wasn't even taking a side, per se, but it was clear to me that many took offense at even trying to understand what mgtow was about.

Maybe in real life I give offense, but here, I always try to be as civil as I can be.

As to the original point of this thread, I'd say with women (and people in general) all having their own personal hot buttons, desires, and varying perspectives, communication is key, I would think.

Just thinking... if you have a speaker (ceiling/satellite) type in every room in the house.. its more difficult to be "denied" your music or hobby.

Most times... given the favored artist and "mood" for that matter, even the most resistant wife will join in (note I did NOTsay.. submit).

On "special occasions", a celebratory beverage helps : )

I think you used me for the wrong inspiration. I'm a lamp cord speaker wire , and 20 bucks or less patch cable guy. But to be fair either spouse denying the other any discretionary spending is a great way to ensure resentment long term.
And btw why are so many guys into Hi Fi married to people that won't tolerate it. It must be a drag to have a spouse totally intolerant of something they love. (Of course not implying something involving boorish behavior, ignoring kids , cheating, etc.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom