Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by xs650shawn, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Jflijohn

Jflijohn New Member

My wife works a 28 day rotational assignment in China.
    For 28 days I blast :)
    For 28 days I don't :(

tater415, onwardjames and Archguy like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Roadrash

Roadrash AK Subscriber Subscriber

I didn't read this whole thread, but I read enough to appreciate my wife that much more. She agreed to removing all the living room furniture, and replacing it with two stressless type recliners so the stereo would sound better. I had a wife that thought I needed to be bossed around, had.

3. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Because they didn't get to know their potential spouse well enough before marriage or perhaps said guy appears to think or care more about the HI-FI than his wife.

4. FOH Engineer

FOH Engineer Addicted Member

I think in
    I think in General that having spouses support and nurture each others interests is a pretty good recipe for mutual happiness..I also think intolerance of one or the others interests does just the opposite...of course it's a given based on this post that those interests are not illegal or based in cheating, poor money management etc...

johnebravo and Roadrash like this.
  5. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

If it's really important to you, and having the stereo set up in the living room cramps the other person's style, then the obvious solution is a dedicated room for the stereo. Unless you live in a really expensive city where apartments are invariably cramped and space is at an incredible premium, making a dedicated room a priority would seem to be essential. Even a small room, if that's all that's possible, is better than nothing.

bluesky likes this.
  6. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

When contemplating married life, " extreme vetting" is mandatory. Marriage is compromise, what are you willing to sacrifice? A hi $$ designer purse won't hold any more crap than a used thrift store special, but a well-chosen sound system will blow away any Walmart or big-box plug&-play set-up. Of course, logic is all too frequently lost on those who one can't reason with.
    Been there, done that.
    My cats groove on tunage, even the loud headbanger type. If it gets too much, they calmly walk away, but a couple have the ability to sleep thru the :rockon:. Believe it or not, i think theyre metalheads, too. They also get steady doses of classical, which they tolerate well. & all still have excellent hearing.
    No complaints, cheaper to feed/maintain, & they don't spend money. Domestic tranquility reigns here. ..=^.I.^= :music:

UncleBingo, adj69 and Johnny 007 like this.

7. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

'It's Hard'

8. 7whales7

7whales7 Well-Known Member

Post a personal add on a popular dating site, into vinyl, tubes, nice tweeters, etc..... LOL

bluesky likes this.
  9. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

It’s expensive but diamonds and expensive perfume work very well :)

10. drabina

drabina AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nah, big speakers are always ugly in woman's eyes. Regardless how many diamonds she is wearing. :)

11. sunrayjack12

sunrayjack12 Active Member

I have some really nice head phones, but I prefer my big Altec speakers. I have to agree with you and say it is an excellent idea you have for this poor guy, while he's at it , he should find some kind of isolation head gear to totally block this woman out!

Bdbras84 likes this.

12. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Love my wife even more now. Allows the main system in the main living area, as well as another system in a different area. In that area I can have as much set up or torn down as I want. Main system just needs to be neat. Can swap out as much stuff as I want as long as it’s neat.

She asked me several years ago what I wanted for Christmas. I told her nothing, just let me build a sound system like I had when I was younger. She told me ok, but don’t bankrupt us and never miss a bill payment, or you’re dead................I’M ALIVE!!!

John James and Harvestor like this.
  13. Harvestor

Harvestor Well-Known Member

In regard to the original poster years ago..... If it were possible to afford building an addition on either the house or garage that was 100% audio / home theater strictly... with maybe a pool table and other adult games.... Memorabilia etc.... Then you can have a wall of speakers...& Theater surround sound with many different amps, receivers, turntables, Tech Decks, real to real machine, and all the fun stuff.
    Build this addition with the best soundproofing you can afford so that when you're out side of the room it's not heard elsewhere...

14. Pete B

Pete B AK Member Subscriber

I seem to remember small speakers, something like the B&O CX-100 that looked like
    books on a shelf. Don't remember the model, or it might have been DIY where someone
    printed an image of books onto cloth.
    Anyone know the model or reference?

15. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Easier to move wife to garage, then crank it up until you can't hear her piss & moan. Jeez, man! Grow a set!:whip:

16. drabina

drabina AK Subscriber Subscriber

Are you referring to these?
    saat.jpg

maxhifi and Pete B like this.

17. Silentnet

Silentnet I like to keep my issues drawn... Subscriber

Get a new wife.

guitarlvr likes this.
  18. Pete B

Pete B AK Member Subscriber

Yes, and the idea would be to make them sound good if they don't out of the box.

I think that they were reviewed in Audio, anyone remember the issue?

19. E-Stat

E-Stat Addicted Member

Mine knew what she was getting into from day one. Here's my bachelor pad circa '85 with Acoustat 2+2s. Yes, I did put up window treatments and aztec blanket to the right was hung on back wall for damping.

[​IMG]

We later finished the basement in that house and moved system downstairs. Second house we built with purpose designed basement listening room. Current house has dedicated space upstairs. Wifey is the video enthusiast and enjoys her 1+1s thirty two years later. :)

[​IMG]

guitarlvr and UncleBingo like this.
  20. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Two words "Shoe budget" : )