Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by xs650shawn, Mar 11, 2014.

1. FOH Engineer

FOH Engineer Addicted Member

I think you used me for the wrong inspiration. I'm a lamp cord speaker wire , and 20 bucks or less patch cable guy. But to be fair either spouse denying the other any discretionary spending is a great way to ensure resentment long term.
    And btw why are so many guys into Hi Fi married to people that won't tolerate it. It must be a drag to have a spouse totally intolerant of something they love. (Of course not implying something involving boorish behavior, ignoring kids , cheating, etc.)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Archguy and awillia6 like this.
  2. Jflijohn

Jflijohn New Member

My wife works a 28 day rotational assignment in China.
    For 28 days I blast :)
    For 28 days I don't :(

tater415, onwardjames and Archguy like this.
  3. Roadrash

Roadrash AK Subscriber Subscriber

I didn't read this whole thread, but I read enough to appreciate my wife that much more. She agreed to removing all the living room furniture, and replacing it with two stressless type recliners so the stereo would sound better. I had a wife that thought I needed to be bossed around, had.

4. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Because they didn't get to know their potential spouse well enough before marriage or perhaps said guy appears to think or care more about the HI-FI than his wife.

5. FOH Engineer

FOH Engineer Addicted Member

I think in
    I think in General that having spouses support and nurture each others interests is a pretty good recipe for mutual happiness..I also think intolerance of one or the others interests does just the opposite...of course it's a given based on this post that those interests are not illegal or based in cheating, poor money management etc...

johnebravo and Roadrash like this.
  6. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

If it's really important to you, and having the stereo set up in the living room cramps the other person's style, then the obvious solution is a dedicated room for the stereo. Unless you live in a really expensive city where apartments are invariably cramped and space is at an incredible premium, making a dedicated room a priority would seem to be essential. Even a small room, if that's all that's possible, is better than nothing.

7. Catmanboo

Catmanboo Active Member

When contemplating married life, " extreme vetting" is mandatory. Marriage is compromise, what are you willing to sacrifice? A hi $$ designer purse won't hold any more crap than a used thrift store special, but a well-chosen sound system will blow away any Walmart or big-box plug&-play set-up. Of course, logic is all too frequently lost on those who one can't reason with.
    Been there, done that.
    My cats groove on tunage, even the loud headbanger type. If it gets too much, they calmly walk away, but a couple have the ability to sleep thru the :rockon:. Believe it or not, i think theyre metalheads, too. They also get steady doses of classical, which they tolerate well. & all still have excellent hearing.
    No complaints, cheaper to feed/maintain, & they don't spend money. Domestic tranquility reigns here. ..=^.I.^= :music:

Johnny 007 likes this.