Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

Do some research on what you'd like, then take her shopping with you. She'll give you an idea of what works for her as long as you are selective about what you show her.

That's how I got my Aerial Acoustic 8 speakers...which I really really really wanted...we went shopping. The wife liked the color of the wood and they fit the decor. She did think they were a bit big when I got them to the house but at the shop, they were sitting next to a much larger pair of speakers. She got used to them. :)

PICT0003_zpse35612a0.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, both of the above are probably true. :D

IMHO, the Expedit really call attention to itself and is VERY large and dominating. In reality, most of us don't need to have more than one full day's worth of albums out at any given time, so I'd suggest placing your LP media storage elsewhere. Then consider what might be a decent or optimum placement of your proposed speakers and where that could go. Remember that it may be future speakers you have to think about too.

Ask if speakers with nice wood veneers, glossy piano black, Rosewood, glossy color paint could also work? How about thin black, silver or chrome metal, or wooden stands and small speakers (think LS3/5a size plus small subs) could also do it?

then start doing some brainstorming together on what a nice equipment stand might be like? I suspect lower and nice appearing could be important. They could be open and modern with glass, neutral color wood materials, even a short armoire with doors, glass or otherwise, to close up the system when not in use. Lots of options here. And maybe even space to add some decoration like Lava Lamp (guys stuff) or more pictures, even flowers.

What I'm getting at is - work together and collaboratively, involve her in the aesthetic considerations while you help shape the equipment and gear options. Did you see that when asking about how speakers might look, she could say, well maybe some nice rosewood veneer speakers of this or that size could be used - that way, now you've got an upgrade path for some nice speakers that you don't have now, and she's given you some leeway in choosing. Remember there's a lot more out there than just the typical rectangles, black or grey boxes.

If your wife likes any kind of music, then play it (via ipod or such) to maybe help her understand how much music can help the mood or feel of a HOME. Play some of the kids' music (if it isn't too nauseating) and see how it may be helpful in keeping them occupied while calming them down (this assumes they aren't teens yet!!).

IMHO, having been married for 34 years, compromise and agreement, working together, is a healthy plan for a healthy marriage. Unless you and your wife have agreed upon division of space usage, its important to consult each other when stuff like this comes up.

I don't disagree with some of the other ideas above, especially to live in a home, I just feel working together shows your commitment to your marriage first, rather than the stuff (and music), as important as it can sometimes seem to be.

OK - this post was waaaaay more helpful/constructive than mine. You're in danger of making sense, my friend.

I agree that (especially in a modest sized room) a 4X4 Expedit can be an imposing piece.
Alternatives include 2X4 (the horizontal way, with some nice legs) or some sort of Mission style piece with just a bit of LP storage & room for components on top. Looks like something like that might work nicely in your room.
I have one of these in one of my rooms. Works well & looks good. Perhaps something along these lines would meet with her approval. http://www.arhaus.com/furniture/liv...cases-armoires/spencer-20-inch-deep-bookcase/

I can understand the 4x4 Expedit if part of it's purpose is to keep the equipment out of small children's reach until they are taught limits and respect for others things.

Position the speakers where they belong.

Buy a nice set of headphones if the other (unseen) half of the room is where the TV is located.

Lastly...get in your wife's purse tonight after she goes to sleep and reclaim your testicles. She is the one who needs to compromise. You've already given up motorcycles.

I was surprised though, when she actually saw it, she was actually kinda into it

Perhaps you projected on to her what you thought her reaction would be. If you go into it with a negative vibe, she will certainly reflect that back. You have to help her to enjoy the experience as well. Build some value in it for her.

What artists does she like? Have a "date night" where you farm out the kids, light all those candles, drink her favorite wine and listen to her favorite music. Don't say anything about the gear, that will just wreck it for her. Tell her you need to "reconnect" and have some "one on one time". Frame some "ugly" electronics this way and they will become (nearly) as meaningful to her as they are to you.

I once bought my wife the Barry Manilow box set. I even listened to it with her. I even made it through the Copacabana without a snarky comment. Greater love hath no man than that.

Last edited:
BTW, that Expedit is going to look much different when it is filled. Something with doors would be a nice compromise on your part.

Lastly...get in your wife's purse tonight after she goes to sleep and reclaim your testicles. She is the one who needs to compromise. You've already given up motorcycles.

Comments like this one or "get a divorce" will certainly do more damage to his testicles than learning how to live with his wife will. Some of you guys act like neanderthals.

SELL THE PROJECT CAR.
Take the money and get that monster system.
Explain since she kicked you out to the garage you've decided to make it a better place to be.
Tell her you are building a man cave, and she has NO SAY THERE WHATSOEVER!!!!
Lets see if that causes her to compromise.

Bring home some speakers that are about twice as big as you really want, then "compromise" on something that is the size you REALLY want.

I was able to make my wife happy with a pair of Boston T830s because they are fairly narrow (about 11" X 10" wide).

I'm very fortunate! I've been slowly converting/taking over what would otherwise be our formal living room. All my wife has said so far is "Geez, it's looking like a mancave in here." That's it. No complaining (aka bitching) or other comments.

I am very lucky.....I don't have any of these issues. The "other" system in my signature is in the living room in a cabinet which is the first room you enter from front door. Simple, nothing obnoxious and everyone in the house uses it.....The boys plug their phones into it and play their music and my wife has her Zune in a dock that she can listen to.

My "main" system is downstairs in a rec room area, away from the upstairs where we mainly hangout and visitors come, rarely do they go downstairs as we also use some of the area for storage and its where our master bedroom is. But I can go down and listen and not disturb them watching tv upstairs, I don't have big speakers but they do sit in front of my gear so it can look not Better Homes & Garden friendly LOL!!!

My wife has no concerns over the location or appearance of any of my gear. She has never complained if I play my music too loud.....We have been together for a long time, I suppose that helps.

Come to think of it, all my gear has always been in the living/family rooms in our homes, always in sight for all to see, back in the late 80's with big speakers sitting on pedestals, she never complained......Wow I never realized that till this thread.

I think I will taker her out to dinner tonight!

I think the problem- if you would call it that- is that the Expedit is front and center and soon to be full of LPs. Now of course most of us here love that. But it does not quite fit in that elegant, Pottery Barn living room. Your living room says "traditional" while the Expedit and the records will scream "Rock & Roll". Expedits also scream, "I am from IKEA!"

So I can kind of understand where your spouse is coming from.

I would:

1) Move the entire thing to another room if possible. I keep my vinyl and main rig in the back room while the living room features a small KLH/Tivoli set up with bookshelf speakers.

or

2) Move the Expedit but find a nice buffet/sideboard piece where you can place your stereo and some of your better vinyl. You can always bring other albums out to listen to or rotate them.

While it would not bother me, your wife probably perceives you as building a Man Cave in the living room. That is ultimately incompatible.

Another reason I never married. Another reason most of my buddies are divorced.
My g.f. does not and will never live in the same house as me. She does nothing but tell me how ugly my stereo is. Same thing over and over again. "Get a Bose. How can Bose possibly sound bad if the whole world wants them?"................
Then there are the constant complaints about how uncomfortable and selfish a car my GTO is.
Why don't you walk then?
Same crap over and over again. Like a broken record.

Unfortunately most women aren't blessed with the 'Audio Gene"..fact of life,accept it.just as most of us married dude feel a trip on a Saturday afternoon to the mother-inlaws for the day is like pulling teeth without anistetic.IMO getting past astetics can be easy as long as the big as_ speakers are tucked into corners and don't interfere with video/tv watching.Then its a matter of schedualing your listening time when SHES not around.thats the compromise my wife and I have come up with and as she has at lease a bit of the audio gene going it works well.I have come home in the past to find her with her I-pod plugged in to the pre amp and the tubes glowing .Showing her how to operate the system helps in that regard.

My g.f. does not and will never live in the same house as me. She does nothing but tell me how ugly my stereo is. Same thing over and over again. "Get a Bose. How can Bose possibly sound bad if the whole world wants them?"................
Then there are the constant complaints about how uncomfortable and selfish a car my GTO is.
Why don't you walk then?

First, I really enjoyed this post. Some would call it misogynist, but I feel the truth in every word.

Not to delve too far off topic, but with women in the workforce now outnumbering men, and many successful people of both genders now forgoing children, IS there an impetus for both genders for marriage?

I love my wife, but in the words of John Mayer, "I can tell you this much, I will marry just once, and if it doesn't work out, give her half of my stuff, that's fine with me." - Home Life

Why don't you walk then?
That sounds awful. Is she really your girlfriend, or just booty call?

I have a small(er) stereo in the Living room but the good stuff is in the basement in a room built for my 'toys'. Most of the time I don't have any complaints from my wife though occasionally she complains about feeling the bass upstairs but what the hay when it's classic rock or pipe organ music gotta have the bass

Back
Top Bottom