Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

Another reason I never married. Another reason most of my buddies are divorced.
My g.f. does not and will never live in the same house as me. She does nothing but tell me how ugly my stereo is. Same thing over and over again. "Get a Bose. How can Bose possibly sound bad if the whole world wants them?"................
Then there are the constant complaints about how uncomfortable and selfish a car my GTO is.
Why don't you walk then?
Same crap over and over again. Like a broken record.

Why put up with her then?

I'm pretty happy with the solution my wife and I have worked out over time. See post 12944 in the Audio Karma Forum "Pics of your listening space."

A vintage stereo console would look nice on that wall. Just move the ikea rack to another room. Or you can get or make something like this...
If she has good taste in furniture , she will surely consider having one in your living room.
2d234001ee839aea2b44813f499cf12c_zpsc66ba7f8.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
Find another hobby (for a while) that has to be done outside of the home. Maybe your artistic side needs another outlet. Sign up for a life drawing class and draw some naked chicks and pin those to the wall instead of those invisible speakers she was hoping for.

A vintage stereo console would look nice on that wall. Just move the ikea rack to another room. Or you can get or make something like this...
If she has good taste in furniture , she will surely consider having one in your living room.
2d234001ee839aea2b44813f499cf12c_zpsc66ba7f8.jpg

Odyofael, that is a beautiful piece. IIRC, its an update of an Electrohome model, thought I saw one in the Magazine ads thread. Did you build it yourself or acquire it/refurbish it?

That would be a very classy addition IMO. Problem is, it may accumulate stuff on top of the lid, which could make it hard to use. But its a nice alternative.

That's a beautiful room you have there:thmbsp:. My advice would be to move the media out of sight or better yet into another room. Work together with her on a diplomatic solution that's pleasing to both of you. It's really not that hard to put together a great sounding and looking stereo that doesn't visually overpower the room.
I find that vintage electronics make great eye candy........... but records and cds not so much.

Looks to me like you answer is the garage. It sounds like it is already your space with a car project being the dominant feature. My guess is its the only area in the house you are the the main decision maker as to what goes on out there. I have always found that good music goes well with working on my car projects, and have always made having a decent system in the garage a priority. Unfortunately, it may set the precedent that your music hobby is a garage thing. I know where you are coming from. One of my best friends has a set of klipsch La Scalas we listened to for years when we were both single. Last time I saw them they are sitting in the corner of a bonus room loft, not hooked up. Down stairs in the living room he has a modern set of tower speakers that basically function as background music producers. He told me he cannot let go of the la Scalas because he loves them to much. I think he is dreaming that his wife will ever let him include them in any part of the home she has any say about. She told me she hates them because they are ugly. Good Luck!!

Just from looking at the photo I'd say there is a big clash between the location of that big Expedit and the pictures on the wall behind it. It honestly would bother me as well. Maybe move the shelves to another place and get something low to put some audio gear on? You could certainly find some nicer looking speakers if that is part of the problem. I picked up some old B&W DM-14s from BT recently that sound excellent and would be very WAF friendly. You can have your cake and eat it, too. You just have to think of the end result. Having said the above, my wife as no issues with audio gear pretty much anywhere and I have some larger Vandersteen 2Cs in the living room on either side of the fireplace. No complaints at all.

In my garage I have a system. ok a couple,,,, ok, ok and a few spare components and speakers.

I also have a pair of Poang leather chair and ottoman. And a TV. And some office dividers that I can move around and make little " rooms".

The garage can go from having 2 vehicles to a big open space in a matter of minutes.
At 26x26 x9, it's easily the biggest room in my house. er , yard. It's not attached.

It's not the prettiest man cave around, but it's ok. I spend a ridiculous amount of time out there. I can smoke, crank the tunes, move stuff around, experiment with placement of speakers and listening position. Best of all, I can bring new stuff in and no-one knows.

Might be something to consider.

In my garage I have a system. ok a couple,,,, ok, ok and a few spare components and speakers.

I also have a pair of Poang leather chair and ottoman. And a TV. And some office dividers that I can move around and make little " rooms".

The garage can go from having 2 vehicles to a big open space in a matter of minutes.
At 26x26 x9, it's easily the biggest room in my house. er , yard. It's not attached.

It's not the prettiest man cave around, but it's ok. I spend a ridiculous amount of time out there. I can smoke, crank the tunes, move stuff around, experiment with placement of speakers and listening position. Best of all, I can bring new stuff in and no-one knows.

Might be something to consider.

Sounds like an awesome setup.

I wonder if 650 shawns wife gets music?

What I mean is I've known many people who like, appreciate, even love music, but don't really "get" it. Not 2 channel audio anyways. There are lots of people who literally don't know what they're missing, because they don't know how to listen.

I loved music all my life, but I was probably 20 before I learned how to listen to a stereo. Once I discovered what a "sweet spot" was. Once I experienced Imaging, and almost knowing what kind of wood the drummers sticks were made of,that's when I learned How to listen. What to listen for, knowing when it wasn't there.

Perhaps the wife needs to hear a good system set up properly to understand what you're striving for. Maybe you can compromise. I have some gear and speakers in the living room. The speakers are placed in an OK spot, but can easily be moved temporarily to their optimum spot for listening, then returned. My 1000+ record collection is in a spare room. It's accessible, but not in anyone's face. Maybe you can ease her into what you want. Then again, maybe not.

I'd suggest downsizing the expedit. Get the 4x2 and the legs for it and set it on it's side with the gear on top. Keep the records you listen to the most in it. Just make sure it adds to the room instead of dominating it. In the picture you posted, that doesn't look right.

If you want larger speakers, look at Boston acoustics. They're flat and go up against the wall, out of the way. Not to mention, they sound fantastic. Maybe look at some black gear to match the room as well. Nothing about the room says retro, so big silver faced gear sticks out like a sore thumb. She's worried about it because it's the living room, where any guest that comes over goes.

I can understand where your wife is coming from and both of you can get your way. She's compromising with old 70s stereo gear (which I assume she could give two shits about) and you're compromising by scaling the operation down to fit the room.

Back
Top Bottom