Stereophile reviews the Outlaw RR2160

Plus it comes with a backlit remote...

So when the lights are off it doesn’t matter what it looks like !

I had the 2150 for a few years and it was very good. The cool thing about it is, and they don't really talk about this as much as they should, is that when my 2150 was about 10 years old, I called up Outlaw and asked them if I could send it in to get looked at and make sure that everything was still running on all cylinders. They received it at the factory and then called me up to tell me they were going to do this and that, I don't really remember what minor things they found, but in addition, they told me they were replacing the USB board and a few other components in order to give me the latest firmware and an improved USB connection or bluetooth connection, I don't really remember, but the point was, that for $125, they essentially updated my 10 year old 2150 to the 2015 level.

That's unheard of unless you're in Krell or Theta territory.

EDIT... the styling is meh. But the thing is so good it doesn't matter. And in person, the thing just exudes quality. Not a plastic thing in sight.

I will probably buy it, but I will just be embarrassed when my friends look at it and say "WTF!?" :(
I will apologize for it's retarded looks, and tell them "but... it works really good!!".

With all the money, time, and resources spent in designing the style of a new product, this was a MASSIVE missed opportunity to totally dominate an entire segment of the Audio marketplace! :( If Kenwood, Yamaha, Pioneer. or Marantz came out with a cool looking retro Silver-era styled receiver with the Outlaw's specs for less than $1,000, then all of the other receiver manufactures would be put out of business...
Highly unlikely.

Wow really? I think the 780 is a very classy lookin receiver and I love toggle switches.Why do you think they're cheap looking?
I think a lot of the low power Pioneers look and feel cheap.The few I've had didn't have the sound I was looking for either. I'm used to the toggle switches on a Luxman that are quite a bit higher quality

Last edited:
I will probably buy it, but I will just be embarrassed when my friends look at it and say "WTF!?" :(
I will apologize for it's retarded looks, and tell them "but... it works really good!!".

With all the money, time, and resources spent in designing the style of a new product, this was a MASSIVE missed opportunity to totally dominate an entire segment of the Audio marketplace! :( If Kenwood, Yamaha, Pioneer. or Marantz came out with a cool looking retro Silver-era styled receiver with the Outlaw's specs for less than $1,000, then all of the other receiver manufactures would be put out of business...
I think after you get it you'll find it may have a Ford body but it's a Lincoln underneath. I think if they went with the 70's silver face receiver look it would be phony on their part. They're carving their own path with this styling. Love it or hate it you notice it

Is it one of those "infinity" volume knobs that keep turning and turning ?
Except for the headphone level they all are.

Last edited:

Remember watching a review on YouTube about the RR2160 ... 1 to 7 min mark.

Man that is ugly.
Ironic coming from a person who owns two MCS 3125 which many consider ugly as well.

It does have plenty of power, good enough specs, and a favorable review from Stereophile, wonder if any of the "big names" could put out a comparable product both performance and price wise now days. Hat's off to Outlaw for producing the RR2160.

Being a dinosaur, I don't download, stream or whatever names are used for computer driven audio sources.
No cell phone so that's not a music source for me either.
Still plenty of local radio stations where I am so I like the fact the Outlaw has a tuner.

Man that is ugly.
Ironic coming from a person who owns two MCS 3125 which many consider ugly as well.I/QUOTE]

Your right they are. The RR2160 will feel right at home and will be the best looking of the 3.

Still plenty of local radio stations where I am so I like the fact the Outlaw has a tuner.
You'd like the tuner then and if you have HD stations that's icing on the cake

Last edited:
The total package of features has me interested. Now to the looks. With all the black boxes out there,a sculpted silver one is good to see. The back lit remote made of metal is icing on the cake. When funds allow on the top of my list.

Likewise! I shouldn't have sold the 2150 I had. I miss it now, although if I do get a new one of these I'll have to find a shelf behind a door. The thing feels like quality through and through and if I were blind, I would probably enjoy it more. It also has a pretty kickass phono section which when the original came out 11 or 12 years ago, was truly a valuable asset. Now that vinyl is back (for the moment) everything has a phono input. But not necessarily a good one like in the 2160.

I been using the headphones tonight Sennheiser HD 202. Definitely entry level phones but good ones. So far I've found that cranking the headphone level all the way to the right and use the volume control, sounds better and you can use the remote to control the volume. Listening to Alligator radio on Tune-in. Sounds great

You don't understand the market then. It is plain as the nose on your face. The people buying audio equipment now, spend more than that for record cleaner.

Receivers are passé.
Well la de da.What time shall we meet at the polo grounds? Where did you get your facts for this statement?

Heck look at some of the butt ugly NAD and Carver stuff and it doesn't stop people from buying it because it's good stuff.

Hey, careful with those Carver comments. ;)

I'll say this about the style of the RR2160: at least it has style whatever you may think of it. Outlaw didn't do the "me too" cookie cutter thing and I applaud them for that.

-Dave

(...) The only thing that bothered me was the SNR - it seems the receiver is noise-limited to around 13 bits.

Doesn't look that bad to me. You need to consider, that the measurement values just refer to 1 W @ 8 Ohm and not to nominal power. So at nominal power you could expect the values to be roundabout 20 dB higher, which then would be roundabout 100 dB (20 Hz to 20 kHz), which to me would rather seem pretty good for a modern receiver.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Anyone have any idea how this might compare to the Bel Canto eVo2, gen ii?
Pretty much different animals there and vastly different price range as well. I don't think it would be a fair comparison but I'd like to be able to do it. Word is the Outlaw punches way above it's weight class plus it has all kinds of flexibility that the Bel Canto lacks.

Yeah, the Bel Canto goes for used what the Outlaw is new. Started out as a $3k amp, but that was getting on 15 years ago. I guess i’m just wondering if things have progressed enough that the Outlaw would be an upgrade or not.

Pretty much different animals there and vastly different price range as well. I don't think it would be a fair comparison but I'd like to be able to do it. Word is the Outlaw punches way above it's weight class plus it has all kinds of flexibility that the Bel Canto lacks.

Orders of magnitude of more people buy more more mid/low end gear than high end. I bet more money was spent on Sonys lowest end POS receiver at Best Buy last year than all the Wilsons sold. OK that is quite an extreme statement and may not be true, but you get the point (add the Yamaha, Insignia, etc bottom models). And I would not be surprised at all if its true.

My first receiver was a "POS" Kenwood (I think KR-2120) with a whopping 20 watts per channel (maybe not even RMS watts). People buy what they can afford, and those receivers do fill in a void. $275,000 speakers are not going to end up at my house, even if I was a multi-millionaire.

Back
Top Bottom