Stereophile reviews the Outlaw RR2160

The truth hurts, doesn't it. I mean a local audio store sold 12 pairs Wilson Alexandria XLF's (which are 275K a pair), One pair of Sonus Faber Aria's (110K) and I don't know hoe much D'agostino amps, and pre-amps. That is all expensive items. Very few are buying the loer tier items any more. Just saying.
That's one high-end store not many of those left.Why would this statement hurt me I don't care what someone spends their money on.

No offence to anyone intended. Would be shame it this thread would get closed.

Maybe some new Outlaw owners of this unit might see it and give us a review over next couple months.

Edit: I value magazine reviews, but AK member reviews are also very insightful.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see some more people with them. Info from other users would be a big benefit.

Great Thread overall, although the posts bashing Silver-Era Receivers and "Receivers" in general made me mad :mad:
I love Receivers, I love vintage stuff, the looks of the new RR-2160 make me mad, but I just bought 1 anyway because I know in my heart that it beats the pants off of my re-habbed Pioneer SX-780 :)
That's fine; My Pioneer remains in my shop, driving my Polk Tsi's (Pic), and the Outlaw will be in my garage, driving the f*ck out of my Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers aided by a Polk 12" SubWoofer. I will apologize for it's looks to my friends, turn it up, and dream of the day when a major manufacturer with a BRAIN actually makes a new Receiver that freakin' LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING.

Nancyshop6.jpg

Great Thread overall, although the posts bashing Silver-Era Receivers and "Receivers" in general made me mad :mad:
I love Receivers, I love vintage stuff, the looks of the new RR-2160 make me mad, but I just bought 1 anyway because I know in my heart that it beats the pants off of my re-habbed Pioneer SX-780 :)
That's fine; My Pioneer remains in my shop, driving my Polk Tsi's (Pic), and the Outlaw will be in my garage, driving the f*ck out of my Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers aided by a Polk 12" SubWoofer. I will apologize for it's looks to my friends, turn it up, and dream of the day when a major manufacturer with a BRAIN actually makes a new Receiver that freakin' LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING.

View attachment 1050531

THIS IS NEW AND COSTS LESS THAN $100 ... WHY can't a major manufacturer make an interesting-looking Receiver for less than $1,000 with the Outlaw's performance????

What's wrong the one from Outlaw?:bigok:
Or are you just hung up on vintage Japanese manufacturers.:D

It's STUPID looking, is all ;) A 6-year-old boy heavily dosed with NyQuil looking at great-gramma's 1930's radio in 1965 should NOT make decisions about how a "retro" stereo should look in the 21st century... They did'nt even have "stereos" in the 1930's, and now it's f*cked-up to even imagine such a hideous thing...

It's STUPID looking, is all ;) A 6-year-old boy heavily dosed with NyQuil looking at great-gramma's 1930's radio in 1965 should NOT make decisions about how a "retro" stereo should look in the 21st century... They did'nt even have "stereos" in the 1930's, and now it's f*cked-up to even imagine such a hideous thing...

Wow! Did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

-Dave

Wow! Did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

-Dave

No; I'm just ticked that I spent $800 on something thing looks like a child's toy... but yes it sounds nice ;) And I'm ticked that my only alternative from ALL manufacturers is black ... monolithic ... blocks :(

Last edited:
Aw quit yer bitchin'.

As a dealer I want to pop in and address the exchange between Just Dave and Botrytis a little. Based on word I got earlier this year, there are more than sixty higher-end hi-fi dealer in metro Chicago right now. Most don't have a storefront because people who buy products in that price range generally don't go to a store, look at the whatever the product is, listen a little bit, and then buy it. I know this from experience.

What that customer prefers to do is listen to the product for an extended period of time, uninterrupted. That's why many dealers work by appointment now. It keeps the customer from being interrupted by other activity. And more often that not these days, the customer wants to listen to the component in their own room on their own system to evaluate it. You don't need a storefront to do that. I haul and ship stuff around for customers to audition all the time. In fact, I spend more time doing that than anything else. Many other dealers today have to work the same way. It's what the customer in the market segment demands.

It's a different world than what it was thirty years ago.

By the way, the Outlaw products are nice. I don't know of any other hi-fi only receiver in production today that is anywhere near the price.

Happy listening.

Back
Top Bottom