Stereotech 1200 innards

msjanket

Are the internal components of the Stereotech 1200 all Mac parts, just assembled by Foster in Japan? Somebody said that some parts were different and I wonder if this would make for significant sonic differences.

That's a good question, perhaps Terry DeWick can answer.
Can one expect to see Motorola output devices, glass epoxy PCBs, Allen Bradley carbon resistors, Sprague Transi-lytic and ERO caps inside a Stereotech?

I certainly hope they don't contain the transi-lytic caps since those deteriorate rather sharply with age. The Allen Bradley's hold some allure for that "vintage voicing". However, they sometimes drift with age.
The green encapsulated ERO Caps are pretty good tho.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one of the OPT's in my Stereotech. Hope this answers part of your question.

thanks for the pictures!
Looks like a pretty well built receiver.
Well, it wasn't exactly inexpensive at $599!

I noticed the standard Japanese parts. The TO-3 Sony output devices, being pretty obvious. I also see many "Matsushita" brand 'lytics. Those are pretty reliable.

I also observe what appears to be standard solder joint terminals. Way better than the dreaded "wirewrap" connections of other Japanese made units.

I would expect these units to perform well for many years.

Last edited:
Stereotech sonics

Sonics for the Stereotech 1200 are excellent, just excellent. I replaced my Mac 4100 with the 'Tech and these ears say the 'Tech may be a bit better! It's a heavy receiver, like the 4100. The tuner is excellent for FM. It's a mighty good unit.

Back
Top Bottom