"Sterling Series"?

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
Never really expected to be posting here, but I couldn't resist a nice looking, small pair of fairly recent (1990's?) Infinity speakers on the swap pile @ the town dump this AM. Cabinets were hefty and seemed fairly well-made. Everything else about them was pretty generic, though. "Black Ash" vinyl outsides, that ubiquitous Audax small dome tweeter, and a small woofer with inverted dustcap. Badge says "Infinity Sterling Series" and the terminal cup on the back has "SS2002" molded into it. I'm guessing the latter is the model number?

Are these even worth hooking up and trying, or should I return them from whence they came?

Thanks for your attention!

Hi Mark:

These are Harman Group Infinity, however I'd give 'em a listen before you write them off.....or not. Could be interesting and the price was right!

Best to ya,

Paul :thmbsp: (slightly west of you)

No Yorx at the dump today, I am pleased to report.

I DID also come home with a nice looking pair of Original Advents in real walnut. I have a utility pair, but just couldn't quite manage to resist a 'designer' pair.

I will try the Harmans and report back to the class :)

Listened to these for a few minutes/tunes this afternoon. They're certainly inefficent. LF extension and quality is actually pretty decent IMO for boxes this small. HF is bugging me, though. There's a metallic sheen to everything treble. Not my cup of tea at all. In fairness, perhaps these are 4 ohm speakers? I had 'em on the 8-ohm tap of my HF-81 (too lazy to re-do the cables).

used to use em for rears in my ht..worked fine..then gave them to my old roomate when he moved out to run off his little mitsubishi amp and my old sansui preamp..bpc the lot of it lol good riddins..but..

They sound friggin fantastic in his little room playing music and computer games off that set up..i was absolutely floored at the sound for the pricing..and the size..bass was enough to get him bitched out by his new and less friendly neighbors playing front mission 3 ahaha.

The highs..i agree are not everyones cup of tea but with a tad bit of tone control..and a smoother sounding amp to begin with (i would not use these on pioneer amps as they've all sounded a bit tinny to my ears) they really did sound ok.

I had 'em on an EICO HF-81; doesn't get much smoother than that :)

I wonder if they're 4 ohm speakers? I had 'em on the 8 ohm taps.

I have a pair (SS2001's...basically the same thing) in my 14-year-old's room connected to my old Sansui 771 receiver. He runs videogames though the system and they sound great.

Back
Top Bottom