Stickies - or why so many pages!!!

Tuquala

Wondering why AK chooses to show the "stickies" on EVERY page of each forum. Couldn't they just show up on the opening page like a whole bunch of other sites that look like they are set up by the same designer???? Seems like you could save some bandwidth or whatever. Some of the forums have almost more stickies than threads on each page.

Just a thought, also, I'm tired of scrolling down on every page I visit just to get a thread. Call me lazy!!!

I tend to agree, I've tried to limit the "sticky" threads in the forum I moderate, however others say it's handy to have them as easy to refer to with common questions. There's no right way I'm afraid. I think most users never look at them anyway.

Nice to have stickies always at the top of each section, but no so nice to have them at the top of each page.

Yes, VBulletin software is coded such that if you have a sticky on in a section it shows up at the top of each page in that section.

I moderate on two other forums, both using VBulletin and we've looked into it for both sites.... it is what it is.

I like some of the sticky's

The ones that members new and old use like.......
What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

New members come to the forum and post their stuff, old members look in and welcome them and talk about their gear.

Some stickies are just wasted space and really could just be unstuck and let them drift off untill rewoken 3 years later.

Hiya,

Well I happen to think that this site needs one sticky per a forum that leads to some sort of indexed knowledge base for each forum.

But how that is done if even possible I have no idea.

Frannie

I agree with the post above. It is possible and simple to have multiple links inside one thread.

It would be great if there was more consistency across the various forums. Some are almost sticky-free. In others, a significant portion of the visible screen space is taken up by stickies. In the Cameras and Photog forum for example, when I click that link the page I get has banners taking up approximately the upper half of the visible area on my 19" LCD monitor, and nine thread links, all stickies, on the lower half. This makes it necessary to scroll before the first current thread link is visible.

If I arrange the page so that the uppermost thread link appears at the top of my monitor, there are a total 19 thread links visible on my screen. Ten of those are stickies.

IMHO if the banner space, as well as the number of stickies in some forums, could be cleaned up it would present a more streamlined look and more efficient navigation for users.

I love AK, not trying to criticize. This is just an observation from a compulsive organizer...:D

Last edited:
Hiya,

We could have a "Master" sticky forum and then in each forum a link to that "Master" sticky forum.

Within that "Master" sticky forum we could have sub-categories for each forum and within each sub-category sticky's related to each sub-category.

Frannie

I respectfully disagree with the Master Sticky idea. Although it would not take up much space and would not do any harm. It would be something new and different and thus it would confuse some users, I believe. I think it would be adding an unnecessary step, moving out of the forum that one is in, to a master sticky thread where non-relevant information or links would then need to be navigated.

IMHO, just one sticky per forum would be the simplest and most effective. Sub categories relevant to each forum, like you mention, could all be organized within that forum's sticky with links grouped in a logical way.

....hello Frannie. I enjoy your posts :)

Last edited:
In some cases the stickies maybe could be consolidated into fewer. I figured vBulletin possibly was the culprit (earlier post here).

We are looking in to a new method for the stickies

Back
Top Bottom