Still happy after Sony Receiver Screw Up

Jayrosc

Live and learn. Couple weeks ago I grabbed a Sony STR 6065 that works and looks good, but it didn't have a walnut case. Lo and behold, yesterday I saw a STR 7045 nearby with a pretty good case on it! Believing in fate as anyone would do after finding 2 old Sony's in as many weeks, I rushed over and picked up this working unit. However I got home discovered that the two are not the same size.
Oh well. I paid top dollar for the not-as-good 7045, mostly for the case, but I think I'll just give it a good cleaning with deoxit and use it instead. The application calls for the receiver to look good, so this fills the bill. Now I gotta try and rub out those scratches on top.

Attachments

• sony str 7045.jpg
    sony str 7045.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 45
  • sony str 6065.jpg
    sony str 6065.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 43
The case comes apart with plastic connectors on the top and sockets on the sides, oops, it is sockets on the top and pins on the sides. Careful this is old, tired plastic. The rubber on this cabinet adapts it to a non-Sony, ignore that in the pics.

Once you do that, you can steam (damp washcloth, iron) the scratches to raise the grain of the wood and then clean the top with some acetone (takes off the dirt, oils and other comtamination), sand with some 220 or 320 and then clean again then if dark enough Howard's Feed and Wax or Watco Danish Oil Finish (Dark Walnut) and have something looking great.

The scratches look deep enough that I would want to raise the grain before sanding as sanding that deep might be too much in some places on the cabinet.

Attachments

• Cabinet Sockets.jpg
    Cabinet Sockets.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Cabinet Pins.jpg
    Cabinet Pins.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom