STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

Hi Peter,

Solid contribution = cool

Where is "near Toronto" N,S (swim) ,E,W ? :) I am in the N

I should rig one of these up to test and measure out this design (need a pcb for that :), no one has done so, guess because of lack of equipment or other. Only make claim with sim specs. Do not have a 780, but the input and voltage amp section can be wired up on proto board or a small pcb, one day, maybe this winter. I have power supplies.

Cheers
Rick

Hi Peter,

Solid contribution = cool

Where is "near Toronto" N,S (swim) ,E,W ? :) I am in the N

I should rig one of these up to test and measure out this design (need a pcb for that :) <snip>

Rick- Thanks! You're just south of Sutton, right? I'm in Shelburne, just over an hour drive west of you.
I can hook you up with a module to play with, once I get everything in place here. I kept 2 spares back, for exactly this sort of reason.

What do you have for test equipment? There's a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, a Dayton EMM-6 microphone, and a DATS-V2 in my near future, so I can do proper measurements on some speaker projects I have on the back-burner. While maybe not up to AP standards, I think the 2i2 should suffice for any noise/distortion/fr measurements I'm likely to need. In the meantime, it's desktop motherboard soundcard, and a collection of vintage analog scopes, home-brew signal generators, and such around here.

Cheers,
Peter

I successfully completed building a pair of the STK modules. My modules function and operate perfectly, everything works good and the bias adjusts great. The only thing I don't like is the way I connected them with wire, I just wish there was a better or cleaner way to solder those wires in. The pictures of completed packs, that others have done and posted on this thread look great and the installations look very clean, but my modules don't look so good.

I have two Pioneer SX-780's one that works and one that doesn't. I put the new STK modules that I built in the working receiver and took the original STK modules from the working receiver and put them in the non working receiver. I was hoping that replacing the STK's in the non working SX-780 would fix the problem but it did not. I started a thread here http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....on-no-sound-darlington-packs-are-good.839687/ if any of you want to take a look at it. Thank you.

My package of circuit boards from PCBWay arrived in the mail today.
Cursory inspection says: They look just fine :)

I guess I'd better find time to make some mounting/heat spreader plates, and order parts from Mouser.

Still 2 pair of bare boards up for grabs as an AK subscriber bonus.

Good to hear, what plating did they give you? default is leaded hasl iirc.
I'am still amazed that we can get them so cheap, in the old days they killed you with setup charges .
some assembly notes
align, form fit the bjt leads using the threaded holes for alignment before soldering them.
I was told to make the bottom side solder pads bigger :)

As you know I would like a couple to play with, if this is possible, I do not need any to be assembled since I want to play with the different stuffing options and do some measurements.
I'll have to wire up a input & vas gain stage to replicate what is in the 780. I'll shoot you the$ for posting,

good luck with your build

Looks like leaded hasl (I think I specified that when I ordered). $1 per board is a beautiful thing.
assembly notes make sense.
I would have made a few of the pads bigger, but I think these will be fine.
PM re extra boards :)

My package of circuit boards from PCBWay arrived in the mail today.
Cursory inspection says: They look just fine :)

I guess I'd better find time to make some mounting/heat spreader plates, and order parts from Mouser.

Still 2 pair of bare boards up for grabs as an AK subscriber bonus.

Do you have any of these boards left? Looking for a pair for my Technics SU-V4K...

I'm in the process of ordering from that Mouser project list provided in the first post of this thread but see that the
BD139-10 is back ordered for quite some time. Are there any substitutes?

I ordered 50 PCB's of the STKxxxx blank module. I'll have them in a few weeks. I am located in Toronto and my goal is to offer international/global shipping. The current auction does not have much info in terms of shipping. So my question is this: Where is a good source in Toronto to order the custom aluminum plates?

Hello new member "doodaa"

The current auction does not even show up in my search of ebay.ca. This could be corrected if the auction owner is notified of this fact, about their listing.
All you have to do is ask the auction owner about international shipping. Shipping is done by post. If they refuse to sell internationally, then I understand why you are doing what you are attempting to do.
Explain to me, why I should be helping you sell/profit from something that I designed and gave away for free?
The intent is that people who wanted some could order their own blank pcb(s) from pcbway, order parts from Mouser and make up their own Al plates.
The issue has always been the Al plate supply for folks who do not have the facilities to fab a Al plate.
The intent was that people would not profit from my design. I have my reservations about profiting from my design....

Rick

I am not going to profit. This will be a cost to cost service for DIY enthusiasts. Sorry, I should have made that clear. Otherwise I would rework the PCB myself and bla bla bla.

Back
Top Bottom