Stoopid Driving Question

DRCope

I'm driving from northeastern CT. Yahoo maps shows going up and over through Buffalo/Niagra Falls into Canada and back down as an hour shorter than skirting the lake on the South side staying in the States all the way.

Spending an hour less driving each way is appealing, but going through 4 Customs stops round trip with a car full of UK audio gear is less appealing. Anybody know what the irritation/complication factor is likely to be?
:yes: :no: :scratch2:

I don't think you are required to have a passport to cross the border (yet).
Bring your birth certificate just to be on the safe side. Not sure what customs will say about the gear. You may expect a slight delay at the border.

:beerchug:

DRCope, last year I brought 2 of my my extrememly rare Electrohome toob amps to the fest, and to prove they were mine I had to fill out an "Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation" card at the border, not sure what they call it in the US, but it's proof that you owned your items prior to departing your country... that way they won't try and get you for duty/taxes, whatever when you return.

Hopefully luvvinvinyl will weigh in on this as well....but I'd be very reluctant to make that many border crossings with all the crap that's gone down with security since 9/11. You may save an hour's drive but sit in line for 2 or more to cross back into the US. Ernie makes this trip from Canada into the US fairly often. What say sir?

Jeff

Some say they get through fine and the reduced mileage (I doubt it would save time) is appealing but I would steer clear of border crossings - especially with a carload of expensive audio equipment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you definitely don't need to stop at the
Canadian customs when going from Canada to the U.S., and also I don't
believe passenger cars need to stop on the U.S. side when going the
other way around. But bear in mind that gas price in Canada is just
appalling...

There is a form in the U.S. that you can fill out, I did it in my road warrior days just so no one would try and charge duty on my laptop(s).

i drove up to nova scotia last year just to visit. i had to take everything out of my car, for no apparent reason. well, maybe except that i had a beard. you're not going to save an hour by going through four customs stops, imo...

Hello,
Skip the border crossings, any time you save driving will be wasted going through customs. Sometimes the border crossings are uneventful, sometimes a big pain in the ass. It all depends on the mood of the Agent!!!
I for one am hoping you make it, as I am very anxious to hear some AUDIO NOTE speakers and maybe a AUDIO NOTE phono stage (hint hint) that I hope you are bringing.
Have a save trip.

woody

I'm driving from northeastern CT. Yahoo maps shows going up and over through Buffalo/Niagra Falls into Canada and back down as an hour shorter than skirting the lake on the South side staying in the States all the way.

Spending an hour less driving each way is appealing, but going through 4 Customs stops round trip with a car full of UK audio gear is less appealing. Anybody know what the irritation/complication factor is likely to be?
:yes: :no: :scratch2:

Driving to where?

I spent 6 hours in line at a border crossing last year, trying to shorten a road trip from Boston to Detroit. I would avoid border crossings at all costs, if I were you.

bs

I just remembered this. Two years ago I sold a pair of speakers to someone from Ontario. While driving down to pick up the speakers, he spent two hours sitting in the line of traffic waiting to get through the US border crossing at the Rainbow Bridge. Most of the delay is due to the large amount of commercial traffic entering the US.
There are a large number of Canadiens who commute daily across the border to work at our GM engine plant in Tonawanda NY. I don't know how they put up with those delays all the time just to go to work.
We have 3 bridges here within 20 miles of each other. The Peace Bridge at Buffalo, The Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls, and The Lewiston/Queenston Bridge at Lewiston NY. I say that the long delays are a hit and miss type thing. It all depends upon the time of day, and day of the week that you are planning on crossing the border. You will experience the higher possibility of long delays when you come back into the US. Most likely if you come back across at night it'll probably be smooth sailing, unless you're unlucky enough to be crossing when they are on the lookout for a terrorist or a big ol load of BC buds coming through.
Here's a site that may be helpful to you.
http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/traffic_conditions.php3
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

That's what I thought. Forget it. :thumbsdn: I'll drive through OH instead.

I think I'm going to have one very full ole Volvo 240 wagon after reading what people would like to hear. :D

I think you made the right choice. The border is a toss-up: sometimes you can sail right through (although not with a shotload of "items" that need explainified), but other times you better get ready to kiss the concrete and spread 'em.

Not to mention the costs of fuel! :)

Back
Top Bottom