Stop fearing the sub, learn to love it!

Bass, the final frontier...

Tried a bunch of combos, and will try some more eventually. Some worked pretty well, others not so much. In an apartment now, so it's kind of sidelined for a bit. Not saying more experimentation won't happen this summer when I can build a box.

In the end, I've always preferred without. With my current setup and room, I'm hitting 45hz pretty hard, and that satisfies my needs and music pretty well. Keeps the eviction notice off my door too.

I've heard it done well, but I haven't been able to replicate it myself in my room to my satisfaction. But, it is the last frontier.

So... how do you "dial in" a single subwoofer?

Perfectly dialed in subs just disappear ....until they are needed.....then they step up and do THAT THING! love em!

I am thinking of downsizing from larger main speakers to "bookshelf" sizes, and then augmenting the bass with a subwoofer.

But before I do that, I want to know how easily it is to "dial in" a subwoofer, and then, Will I be able to just leave it alone? I don't want to be continually adjusting the sub. An occasional adjustment is OK... just don't want to be constantly adjusting.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

I am thinking of downsizing from larger main speakers to "bookshelf" sizes, and then augmenting the bass with a subwoofer.

But before I do that, I want to know how easily it is to "dial in" a subwoofer, and then, Will I be able to just leave it alone? I don't want to be continually adjusting the sub. An occasional adjustment is OK... just don't want to be constantly adjusting.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

While it can be a slightly finicky job "dialing in" a subwoofer(s) once its done no further adjustment is necessary. This is because once the level is set it tracks the volume control on your preamp/integrated/receiver.

IMO/E those who are constantly adjusting a sub woofer's level do so because they've never dialed it in properly.

By "tracking the volume on the receiver"... what/how does that work? Is this a feature of subs that is needed to be able to do that?

I used various hi end subs with 2 channel music for many years...REL, Martin Logan, Era Design, B&W, Hsu Research, SVS, Paradigm and so on. Then I stopped and notice how much more I enjoyed my music. Now I use a sub for HT only. To each his/her own.

No need for subs either, speakers must produce and stand on there own or out the door they go..

By "tracking the volume on the receiver"... what/how does that work? Is this a feature of subs that is needed to be able to do that?

This just means the subs volume will adjust up and down along with the other speakers as the main volume knob is adjusted. Setting up a sub isn't as difficult as some might think, it's actually a lot of fun. Along the way you will most likely learn a lot about integrating your system with the room that you never knew before.

No need for subs either, speakers must produce and stand on there own or out the door they go..

Can you give me an example of a pair of speakers (any time, anywhere) that do not produce room modes in the bass frequencies? As far as I know, no such speakers exist for a home listening (indoor) environment. :scratch2:

IMO, I think it's likely you are simply satisfied even with the room modes present in your listening space. Nothing wrong with that but there are a lot of enthusiasts becoming educated on how to improve their systems performance through the use of properly implemented bass augmentation. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I have the 15" drivers cut off at 70Hz. I use a low shelf filter to give a little boost to them in the 15-30Hz range If I remember correctly.

It is interesting that the more people I speak to or hear about seem to prefer a very slightly boosted LF response (lower than 60Hz) rather than a ruler flat response. Me included.

While having components have a ruler flat response is good so that they do not add their owner coloration to the signal, how are ears perceive and feel sound from the speakers at the listening position seems to lend itself to a slight boost in the LF for whatever reason.

Interesting.

For me, I like to have it boosted more on older music so it has a full bodied feel to it. Newer albums like Creed or the newer Skynard (I know) have much more bass content.

I just set two complete configurations so I can switch on the fly to compensate for different types of recordings. I much prefer doing it within the realm of the dsp rather than using the tone controls. IMO, the results are far more pleasing and precise.

I don't use tone controls. I adjust the attenuation dials or DIP switches for the signal going to the SW on the active crossovers.

I rarely adjust anything and don't have tone controls anyway. I have my system dialed in and only turn the volume up and down.

New to me...

This just means the subs volume will adjust up and down along with the other speakers as the main volume knob is adjusted. Setting up a sub isn't as difficult as some might think, it's actually a lot of fun. Along the way you will most likely learn a lot about integrating your system with the room that you never knew before.

Thanks for that answer. I did not know that subs had this capability. So, that's my daily nugget of knowledge from AK!! Cool.

I'm leaning in the direction of going with smaller mains and integrating a sub if/when I need one.

Thanks for that answer. I did not know that subs had this capability. So, that's my daily nugget of knowledge from AK!! Cool.

I'm leaning in the direction of going with smaller mains and integrating a sub if/when I need one.

All powered subs have this capability. Some have line level inputs, some have speaker level inputs, some have both.

Does this sub have that capability... ?

All powered subs have this capability. Some have line level inputs, some have speaker level inputs, some have both.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW...427476845&sr=1-1&keywords=8"+subwoofer+yamaha

This one doesn't turn on and off automatically. And it doesn't say if it automatically adjusts to the speaker main volume.

Can you leave your sub on all the time without doing damage or shortening the life of the sub?

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW...427476845&sr=1-1&keywords=8"+subwoofer+yamaha

This one doesn't turn on and off automatically. And it doesn't say if it automatically adjusts to the speaker main volume.

Can you leave your sub on all the time without doing damage or shortening the life of the sub?

Thanks.

Whether the subwoofer follows the volume of the main speakers is a factor of the subwoofer's input source, not of the subwoofer itself. If the signal used as an input is "variable", and changes in volume as you adjust the volume of the source (receiver, amplifier, etc.), the subwoofer will likewise follow those changes in volume. This subwoofer has a single line-level input only.

Leaving an amplifier powered does not typically have a dramatic effect on its lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom