Stories about Good People

krg291

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Did somebody help you get into audio or help you get gear you couldn't get by yourself? Or, did you help somebody else get better gear, set up a system, or do something nice for somebody? Let's swap some stories!

Here's mine:

On Saturday morning my wife and I went out to several neighborhood garage sales. After scoring a beautiful mcs 3249 for $10 at a tag sale on Thursday, I was after some decent speakers to pair with it (not to mention a bunch of other furniture for our new house). By late morning we were both a bit tired of rummaging through junk and we'd hit every sale on our list, but we stumbled across a moving sale in a nice neighborhood and decided to stop. It wasn't on our list and wasn't advertised.

While there, I noticed some really nice audio equipment. I got to talking to the guy about it, and he told me his story. The stuff was in great shape and I could tell he was very proud of it. I told him about my own setup (mcs 3253, ar-7's and a numark tt) and appreciation for audio gear and better music, and by the end I offered a price I could afford, figuring he would not accept. But he did.

I knew it was worth more. He knew he could get more. But he still accepted. It didn't seem like he needed the money; I think he wanted me to have it. What an awesome guy. I looked at him straight in the eye, shook his hand, and gave him many thanks. Hopefully one day I will be in a position where I can do that for somebody too, because he made my day and I've spent the past few days thinking about it, researching the equipment, asking questions here and on reddit, and sketching out how I will hook things up.

My dad is coming over for dinner tonight and afterwards we are going to test everything out and start tinkering. These kinds of experiences are priceless to me, and this one is all because some complete stranger sold me things I very much appreciate but can't afford on my own. What a classy thing to do.

If no one else "beats me to the punch" with a technical question, AND I have the answer I try and help on line (and in person when situations arise).

Having been "gifted" a Sansui 1000A receiver and having fixed (and restored it) I tend to answer questions that pertain to that model (when able).

Mark T. :music:

In the 1980's a friend named Lloyd turned me into an audio person. He took me to all the audio shops in the area. Taught me to bring source material to test with. No idea where he is now,but thanks Lloyd.

I bought my Citation 16 from a gentleman who has been in the repair business since the 70s, and is retiring from that and also selling off a considerable collection of gear. While talking about gear and why I wanted the Citation specifically, (I prefer dual mono or mono block amplifiers) he said that most people who came into his shop wouldn't know what the Citation actually was, or really appreciate it. He threw out a price on the Citation that was very fair(actually cheap) and I couldn't get my money out fast enough. While talking further I mentioned that I had been looking for some L-07Ms, and he told me he had a pair of L-09Ms for sale. When I told him that there was no way I could afford them, he said "you're a repeat customer and I know they're going to a good home, I'll make them affordable". He ended up selling them to me for 400 bucks less than he had them listed on CL for. That makes him a pretty nice guy in my book. His only caveat was that if I decided to get rid of them to call him first, but needless to say they've found a permanent home. That's my nice guy story.

About 6 or so years ago my sister and I were helping an older friend take some pictures of things he wanted to sell online while packing up his house for a move. At the time I had been serious about audio for a few years. He was a serious audiophile with great gear, but I never got a chance to hear any of it because it was already packed up and in storage. I can't recall what he was using for amplification (Marantz separates I think), but he had Dahlquist DQ10's, a pair of DQ-1W low bass speakers and the matching crossovers.

Anyway, after we helped him we got to talking and he decided he had a few things he didn't want to lug with him to his new house. Not only did he give me a really cool vintage lamp with a hand carved wooden lampshade, but a pair of Bose 901 III's and the EQ, and some empty Wharfedale/Radio People cabinets with sand filled baffles. I don't know what happened to him,but thanks Jim!

I would like to repeat my appreciation of member Madhattter who, many years ago, gave me a Sansui G-8000 for free. Not only that, but he crated the receiver in a handmade crate that could have been driven over by a tank and sustained no damage. It is my most listened to unit in all of my collections. I was also gifted a set of Stax Ear Speakers by an AK member, but I cannot remember his name. My thanks to both of you two.

This old Pioneer was granddads. Didn't work any more. Several AK members came to an agreement as to what was wrong, exactly what to do and what parts to get. They hit the mark the first try. Then said yes it works good now but you can't use it till you replace "all" those little gray parts that say Suzuki.
That's when I realized I'd found another great hobby. They can be hard to come by at my age.
Thanks AK.

Attachments

• P2230005.JPG
    P2230005.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 35
My Uncle, I was about 14 when he gave me an old Bogen DB-20df mono integrated and I built a 8 inch 2 way speaker with radio shack parts.

My friend Ron who has always been into audio gave me a Sansui G-6000 with a Sansui SR-535 turntable and put a Shure M97xe on it, also a pair of Coral speakers which sounded very good. Another friend John gave me a Sansui AU-717, Sansui AT-717 Sansui SC-3110 they all had issues which my friend Ron paid to get refurbished. So I have a lot to be thankful for. Ron also gave me a Pioneer PL-112D he had a the Shure M97xe moved to it, and then a Ortofon 2m Blue was put on the Sansui SR-535. Then he had a Ortofon 2M Bronze put on it(Sansui) and the Ortofon 2M Blue went on the Pioneer PL-112D. Unfortunately I messed up the stylus on the Bronze and replaced it with a Ortofon Super 30 which I love the sound of. He (Ron) also has given me a lot of records. John lives up in Tracy CA and when he visits he always brings a nice stack of thrift store records. So I'm very blessed. My friend Alan upgraded his system and when he heard my daughter wanted some stereo gear, he gave her his Pioneer SX-636 which he had sense the 70's, and a pair of Epicure M-50 speakers which she loves. Also my friend Mark who passed away a year ago from a long battle with cancer at the young age of 45, gave her for her birthday a Technics SL-BD20 turntable and I had a Grado Green put on it that Ron had given me. Again I'm very blessed and grateful for all. Oh I almost forgot Ron also had a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-15 speakers refurbished and gave them to me for my birthday a few years ago.

About 15 years ago the neighbor heard I liked classic rock and gave me his record collection, something like 200+ albums all in at least good shape. It started me down this path and introduced me to a lot of really good music.

I've since split that collection between my dad and my brother, both of whom are getting back into the hobby.

It wasn't specifically a single person but I can nominate a now-long-gone dealer of high end gear - Soundhaus in Durham, NC. Having just graduated high school, that summer I lived down the street from this hushed and darkened establishment tucked into a string of flower shops, eateries and a drug store.

The defining moment was the first time I heard the strains of the Allman Brothers coming out of the closed front door as I walked by. It sounded like they were just inside the place - this after hearing them live some few months before in Greenville, NC.

Stepping inside, I realized this was a stereo shop with multiple listening rooms portioned off with sliding patio doors. The largest one was full of McIntosh gear with what looked like furniture. They were, in fact, Mac ML-4C speakers being driven by a C28 and an MC2300 with a Thorens TD-125 turntable and a Rabco tonearm. The Allman Brothers just jumped out of those speakers at me.

I was hooked and remain so to this day.

Cheers,

David

Growing up as a kid, the youngest of four, I was exposed to music by my parents and three older siblings. At this point it seems my two brothers' taste in music had stagnated back when they were teenagers. They both had some cool systems when they were younger. But, now... not so much. Nor do they listen outside of their car radios. My sister (oldest of the bunch) and I still talk about music to this day. She doesn't have much in the way of a system either. She just enjoys the music. I was (still am) the crazy one. My love of music drives me everyday.

Speaking of good people, there's a garage sale in michigan that has some audio gear that I've been looking for. The ad didn't leave a number and I'm stuck at work, far enough from me that I can't leave unless I know it's there and it'll be a good buy.

Is anybody willing to go look for me (and not buy it from under me?), then call me to tell me about if it's there,price and condition? I know it's a big ask, but I doubt this gear will be there tomorrow when i can actually go look. PM me if you're in Southern Michigan and willing to help me out today. He advertised LPs and 45s as well, no idea what else is there, just after this one piece of gear. I would be eternally grateful, and if a deal is worked out, may even be willing to send you an lp or two for your trouble.

Back
Top Bottom