Stories

skbubba

I'm in the process of recording vinyl I haven't listened to in 25+ years to digital. Yesterday, I was recording Weasels Ripped My Flesh, from 1970.

I mentioned to the Mrs. that some of the stuff on it is a look into a twisted genius' possibly insane mind. I also mentioned it was pretty beat up and didn't even have an inner sleeve, and that it apparently had a hard partying life and I was surprised it would even play.

She said: "Every record tells a story, don't it?" She's pretty cool.

(This record has one of my favorite Zappa tunes: "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama.")

That is something digital files won't do.

In the course of many years of vinyl accumulation, I found ~$200-300 in cash (bills and even some metal money) stashed within LP sleeves. Something else unlikely to occur in "the digital files" realm.

Of course there are CeeDees and IIRC I have found a few bucks stashed in jewel cases over the years. But then I collected far fewer CeeDees -- 300-400 -- than LPs (plus EPs & 78s) @-round 6,000 before the Good Lord (or other force?) made me stop! And that's just what I managed to hang onto; considering the number of LPs/EPs/78s I've bought/sold/traded, I'd guess that > 10,000 have passed through my claws over the last, um, ~50 years. (I started collecting @ an early age -- I was the "R. Crumb" kid of our South Side (Chicago) hood (and beyond).

Back
Top Bottom