Stranded in Iowa

Not if you lived in Keokuk when I did, from 1976 to 1990. It was a good place to leave! (With all apologies to Gibsonian, a fellow AKer from Keokuk who was a year behind me in school there.)

I didn't get to live anywhere else in Iowa, but a couple of times I visited a friend who was attending UNI at Cedar Falls in the mid-1980s, and that was quite a bit nicer. Picked up an Ampex 600, an Ampex 601 (full track mono 7 1/2 ips 7" reel-to-reel tube decks), and a Gates SA-39B compressor/limiter (all tube!) for $15, cash and LUG(!) from their college radio station that was tossing the stuff in an upgrade. Can't complain there!!

And at the same place and time there was a Presto 1-C cutting head mounted on a huge Presto pivoted arm, for one of their recorders (probably the Model Y) that looks to date to the late 1930s. 500 ohms and still works, though the remainder of the machine and electronics was nowhere to be found. Just $1!

Welcome to AK. I also used to be stranded in Iowa. I went to school in Iowa City from 1980-86, and moved to Davenport in '88 for my wife's first teaching job.:thumbsdn: One year there, and we high tailed it out of Iowa to Seattle. I couldn't find a job there for the life of me. It seemed like three-fourths of the place was unemployed at the time. I like Iowa City, but can't imagine ever wanting to live in Iowa again.:no: Nice people all the same...

Back
Top Bottom