Strange issue with my first Marantz 2230

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by skeewiff, May 18, 2018.

1. skeewiff

skeewiff New Member

Yes,I will deoxit again as I´m waiting for the leds to replace when they arrive I´ll clean again everything, tone4eff Yes I have a bit experience in soldering, I´m going to upload a picture of my pre-amp board this afternoon and if you guide me where to start I am confident to try to fix it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. skeewiff

skeewiff New Member

IMG_2695.JPG

Don´t know if the pictures are clear enough, made them with my iphone if you need another angle/better quality please tell me and I´ll upload better pictures.
    IMG_2695.JPG
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. ton4eff

ton4eff Active Member

This is your "sick" left channel pre-amp part:

IMG_2695.JPG

Make sure that there are not swapped speakers and this is indeed the bad left channel.
    As a beginning, make a careful visual inspection for a cracked resistors, "pregnant" bulged, leaked caps (at their bottoms too) and for a bad solder joints at the bottom side of the board. The brown and green film caps are out of suspicion for now... The best way to look for a noisy transistor is with freeze spray, but assuming you don't have one, you can try tapping GENTLY on these 4 transistors with a plastic pen for example and listen for that crackle noise to appear...

4. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

With that method.You have about a 0.0001 % chance of getting any deoxit, on anything, that will make any difference. Heck.. Just exercising the switch will accomplish more. These type switches require removal and disassembly to properly clean.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  5. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here is a common look for a P400 board after all of the small electrolytics have been replaced with WIMA films. The larger films can probably be left alone if they are brown. The transistors here have also been replaced. It's personal preference whether to do that in a working unit or not. Ignore the big white Mundorf caps. It was an experiment to see if I liked the sound of exotic caps in this spot any better than the original brownies or plain Panasonics. I didn't and I have never used them again. Note -- if you decide to replace transistors, the silkscreen is a mess of wrong numbers. You will have to put on your thinking cap and/or ask for help on which transistor goes where.
    Steve

IMG_1281.JPG

6. PepVert

PepVert New Member

Skeewiff - where you able to resolve this issue. My 2230 just started to make the SAME noise... Will deoxit, etc. but wanted to find out if you were able to resolve this... Thanks!!!!

Please register to disable this ad.