Strange JBL 4430 bass spreading

Zaccharie

Hi,

I just moved my 4430 in my new party room and the bass are spreading in a very strange way. (It was the same before, but now I want to make things better.)

here is a pick showing the room layout & how the low-bass are spreading:

myRoom.png

Some more pics of the room: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6XKIlo0PoJuDPaY92

It's not really cool because we don't have any bass in the center of the room. Just dry medium/high.

When I'm making music, I always stay near the table with the screen, this is where the sound is the better but obiously the sound isn't stereo...

Thank you in advance if you can help me!

Zac

So looks like the bass is going straight to the back wall corners and what you hear is secondary boom.I would remove your side couch.Bring your speakers out from the front wall.Then you will hear the front wall secondary boom your missing.

So looks like the bass is going straight to the back wall corners and what you hear is secondary boom.I would remove your side couch.Bring your speakers out from the front wall.Then you will hear the front wall secondary boom your missing.
Thank you for your answer!

Are you sure it's necessary to move the speaker out from the wall? Because the "bass hole" isn't behind the speaker on the 4430. There is no hole behind the speaker... Also, I can't really move the couch, and the problem is exactly the same in both side... :dunno:

Try it.Move the side couch temporary (even between speakers at front) Bring your speakers forward just before your table with turntable.Measure distance between speakers then sit back the same distance like a triangle middle of speakers.Have a listen for a weekend then get back with your results.!
move your chair (sweet spot) forward and back a foot for personal taste......:)

Read the Listening Spaces forum and find out about bass traps. They do more than taming bass humps, they can increase perceived bass in the room.

I agree with the idea of moving speakers, placement has a HUGE effect on the sound, it is the cheapest upgrade ever!

Have you tried placing the speakers on the long (6 meter) wall? I helped a friend move his speakers to the long wall and there was better bass.

Great the room with bass traps from floor to ceiling in all four corners....OR....install 3 or 4 subs.

Get them off the stands for starters. In a room like that, you need reflection from the floor. All your furnishings act as sound treatment and damp the bass and reflections. Most folks with hard surfaces need to put these on stands. In your case, you need the room to interact some. This is all predicated on your upstream equipment being capable of good reproduction.

Placing those speakers on the floor will tend to make the bass "boomy" and ill-defined. This is commonly known.

^^^^^
Yes, in normal circumstances, without damping. His room has plenty and it costs nothing. Worth a shot.

Most bookshelf speakers will produce the best and smoothest sound when they are away from the front and side walls. They are usually designed to be listened to with the tweeters at ear height, which means stands, when listening and pretty much on axis. In other words, point the tweeters at the listening position.

Back
Top Bottom