Streamer Dac for MQA with on-device dials

gravis82

Hello

I have been searching, but I don't think this device exists.

I am essentially looking for a Lumin D2, but I don't want to be required to use my ipad/phone to control it all the time. The blue light from a smartphone screen bothers me at night and affects my sleep, and late at night is the only time I have time to listen. I primarily listen to records for this reason, but streaming tidal and MQA and having access to all of the playlists, saved albums and saved songs that I manage with the desktop app (while at work haha), would be soooo convenient.

So I want a Lumin D2, but with an on-device dial/screen for simple functions like selecting playlists, albums, songs that are saved to my account, and maybe a shuffle button. I don't need to go searching in this menu for new things (I can do that on the app if I want). Just to be able to access things that I have saved to my account.

It would be great to be able to stream and listen without my face buried in a smartphone or ipad. And full disclosure, I am a millennial haha. So this is not rooted in technophobia. I am on my phone and/or computer all day every day, the last thing I want is more computer and iphone when I want to relax.

Is this what the dial on the Mytek Brooklyn does?

Last edited:
You need something with a screen. The only options are phone, tablet or PC. You might be able to get Siri or Alexa to work the way you want but you'll have no visual.

The display on the Mytek does not show program content. In addition the Brooklyn is an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). It doesn't do what you want. It's not a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).

Last edited:
I have the same issue, Nightshift on my iPhone and whatever it’s called on my tablet worked out great for me. Just some options.

I have a Mytek Brooklyn (which is a DAC) and Joe is correct - the display does not have what you want.

I think an iOS device with Nightshift may be just what you are looking for, keep the screen dim and only have it on when you need it.

I have a Lumin D2 and I can tell you that it's an excellent sounding streamer.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any other way of controlling it other than using a tablet or smartphone. I have my iPad set to automatically dim after 1 minute. I also use the iPad's Night Shift mode and set the slider to the Warm setting.

Last edited:
I have a Mytek Brooklyn (which is a DAC) and Joe is correct - the display does not have what you want.

I think an iOS device with Nightshift may be just what you are looking for, keep the screen dim and only have it on when you need it.

I don't know why I posted it's an ADC. Doh!:oops:

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will just have to start my own company and make one then.

I would put the screen on the top of the device (not the front, forces you to walk up and look) in an 8 1/2 x 11 kindle screen. Not backlit. Just to be weird.

Choose your own dials when you order (wood or brass or something else).

Album art would be processed via some sketching algorithm and displayed there.

I would not make money

Back
Top Bottom