Streaming audio may become too costly.

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
I was listening to the radio the other day and heard the top of the hour news mention streaming audio. They said that Congress is in the middle of deciding how much a streaming "net radio or even land based station that streams their broadcasts" should pay in royalties to the RIAA. They are now considering 70 cents per song per thousand listeners....sheesh, these guys are becoming greedy bastards.
I am hoping that it doesn't include the stations that also sell cd's of the songs they are streaming. However,, how many stations are going to keep streaming if they have to pay a ton of money for a service that isn't really a money maker to them anyway. I mean, If I am listening in Oregon to a small station in South Dakota, it isn't like I am going out and buying a new goat ropin' outfit from the local outfitter who is advertising on the local classic country station.
Has anybody else heard this? It was one of those..ya hear it one time and then they kill it type of stories.

Greedy Bastards

I have heard about this and it wil be the death of net radio. It's unbelievable what the recording industry is doing. Lobbyist are ramming through every piece of legislation they can think of to increase thier revenue stream A little known fact is that the recording artist see relatively very little of this money. The bulk of their money is earned on the concert tour. Think about it; the top artist get at most 1.50 a CD, most get a dollar ten, out of this all recording fees, managers, session players and family split the 1.10 pie. Most artist bring in much more on the road.

Back
Top Bottom