Streaming Audio

Pioneer24

Pioneer Collector
I'd like to start streaming from iTunes and services such as Spotify. In doing some initial research it looks like a Sonos Connect might work nicely. I would use the digital outs into my Cal Audio tube D/A and from there into my Spec/1.

Does anyone have experience with this type of set-up (or others) for streaming music into their vintage Pioneer set-up?

How about almost? ;) That's my last step. +1 on the Sonos stuff.

My vintage gear is upstairs, but I would like to hear it downstairs (without cranking it to 11!). Downstairs, I've got a pair of Sonos Play3's for "spontaneous" listening (fed by my phone), and I also have their Connect:Amp hooked up to my deck speakers. All work beautifully, and sound impressive for what they are. Not to mention wonderful, well thought-out control. Meaning, from one device (my phone), I can choose to send a single stream to the Play3's and the deck, and control each volume independently. Or, I can choose to stream to the Play3's and a different stream to the deck!

So, my last step is to get their Connect unit so that I can add my SX-1280 (and by extension, all connected gear) onto the network. Then, with that, I can either stream to my vintage setup to listen to while I'm upstairs, or vice versa, send my vintage signal downstairs, and/or to the deck.

Good luck with your setup!

- Jeff

I'd like to start streaming from iTunes and services such as Spotify. In doing some initial research it looks like a Sonos Connect might work nicely. I would use the digital outs into my Cal Audio tube D/A and from there into my Spec/1.

Does anyone have experience with this type of set-up (or others) for streaming music into their vintage Pioneer set-up?

I stream my Roku 4 via the optical port into a Yamaha 7.2 receiver that is equipped with analog outs, I then run each set of analog outputs into a seperate x100 series integrated amp (to the Tuner jacks), two SA-8100's run the front and sides, SA-7100 runs the rears, and then I send the sub signals to an old HK preamp and jack the subs into it to give me a little more control over the subwoofer circuit. I run the center speaker and the Atmos overheads off the Yamaha along with an extra set of fronts to give me a little more ompf in the front. For all-analog stereo I've got my TT and CD deck jacked into an SX-828 receiver that then connects to the x100 amps via Tape out to the Aux jacks. So if I want to do digital I switch all amps to Tuner and run program off the Yammie. If I want to do vintage analog, all get set to Aux and I run program off the SX-828. Works great, in fact Youtube videos played thru the 7-channel stereo option on the Yammie rock like a hurricane, as the old saying goes, and the control I have over each pair of speakers via the integrated amps allows me to balance the system to my tastes after which I can use the volume control on the Yammie to control the overall volume level of the entire system via the remote. I used an Apple TV before the Roku went into service, it sounded even better but it died after about a year, I may go back to one because I've been hearing the quality has improved. Apple has a proprietary Dolby format that seems to get translated better by the Atmos receivers, in my experience, the Roku sounds great on 7 Channel but if you use one of the Dolby formats it sounds like sheet, while the Apple really shined on the Neo and Dolby formats, especially the Dolby PIIx matrix decoder. I've also got my Blu-ray jacked into the Yammie to play Atmos format movies, been very, very happy with that as well.

Last edited:

Yes. First into 850 and 980 receivers and now into a Marantz 7t feeding an 8b.

it looks like a Sonos Connect might work nicely

It does. It's what I've been using for the last several years. The music world comes to you via your fingertips and it's huge.

The Connect has a setting for fixed or variable output. Using the variable gives me remote control of the volume on these old remote'less' units. I find that extremely valuable.

I just started using a Raspberry Pi with a HiFi Berry DAC. It streams using Volumio software on the Hifi Berry and is controlled with my phone, computer, or an Ipad. So far, I love the way it sounds on my Pioneer SX 636.

Yes. First into 850 and 980 receivers and now into a Marantz 7t feeding an 8b.

It does. It's what I've been using for the last several years. The music world comes to you via your fingertips and it's huge.

The Connect has a setting for fixed or variable output. Using the variable gives me remote control of the volume on these old remote'less' units. I find that extremely valuable.

Thanks for that last bit of info - that is great about the variable output of the Connect - that way I can use the Sonos app for volume on my Pioneer silver!!

If you want something more inexpensive, I would suggest what I always suggest in this situation, the Chromecast Audio. You can't beat the price, and the sound quality is pretty darn good. It outputs digital or analog, and you control it with your phone/tablet/computer.

My vintage gear is upstairs, but I would like to hear it downstairs (without cranking it to 11!). Downstairs, I've got a pair of Sonos Play3's for "spontaneous" listening (fed by my phone), and I also have their Connect:Amp hooked up to my deck speakers. All work beautifully, and sound impressive for what they are. Not to mention wonderful, well thought-out control. Meaning, from one device (my phone), I can choose to send a single stream to the Play3's and the deck, and control each volume independently. Or, I can choose to stream to the Play3's and a different stream to the deck!

So, my last step is to get their Connect unit so that I can add my SX-1280 (and by extension, all connected gear) onto the network. Then, with that, I can either stream to my vintage setup to listen to while I'm upstairs, or vice versa, send my vintage signal downstairs, and/or to the deck.

- Jeff

Jeff - that is where I would eventually like to go - have streaming capability with my old Pioneer silver and then Sonos in other parts of the house - kind of the reverse of your order. It will be interesting to see when the Sonos speakers are "grouped" with the connect/Pioneer silver if there is any delay or lag in the older equipment.

If you want something more inexpensive, I would suggest what I always suggest in this situation, the Chromecast Audio. You can't beat the price, and the sound quality is pretty darn good. It outputs digital or analog, and you control it with your phone/tablet/computer.

Great idea - I already have a cable that could connect it to the Spec/1. At $35 it is worth the experiment - just need to get pas the Google "creep" factor.

Just bought and install Chromecast in-spite of the Google “creep” factor.

First impression is good. Can’t beat the price $35 and convenience. Plugs straight input Aux taps with an RCA adapter which I already had on hand. Signed up for Spotify which is pretty cool. Picked Spotify based on AK recommendations in digital section

I hate to say it, but I feel like I already need another one.

Cheers

Jeff - that is where I would eventually like to go - have streaming capability with my old Pioneer silver and then Sonos in other parts of the house - kind of the reverse of your order. It will be interesting to see when the Sonos speakers are "grouped" with the connect/Pioneer silver if there is any delay or lag in the older equipment.
Good point. I would be interested in hearing how that goes. In my home, I think it will end up being an "either/or" situation: I will be either be listening to my vintage gear upstairs (no Sonos) or listening to Sonos only, downstairs.

Let us know!

Fed both an SX-780 and SX-650 AUX input from a PC sound card/mbd audio line out streaming Pandora, Youtube, and Windows media player. 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 RCA plug cable. Works great! Also feed a Pioneer HT amp from a PS3 and a 5.1 soundcard on Win 10. One is optical, the other is 5.1 analog.

I picked up a Sonos Connect a few years ago and haven't looked back. Great audio streaming to my favorite vintage systems.

Mike

- Jeff

I do exactly this. I have two Connects connected to two different receivers in different rooms, then a couple of the standalone speakers for other smaller rooms or for putting outside. Works great. The only downside is cost. SONOS is not cheap.

Seems like a lot of people are enjoying the Chromecast as well. Not sure if it sounds as good, or is as powerful. The DAC in the SONOS connect unit is well regarded by my favorite high end audio store in Gig Harbor.

Good point. I would be interested in hearing how that goes. In my home, I think it will end up being an "either/or" situation: I will be either be listening to my vintage gear upstairs (no Sonos) or listening to Sonos only, downstairs.

Let us know!
I get no difference or lag between the Connect units that are feeding the older receivers and speakers, and the new SONOS standalone speakers. We have a 1, a 3, and a 5 so basically one of each. Not the newest versions but basically the same thing. There is no lag that I can find, and I hate lag and am sensitive to it.

So I haven't added the Connect yet, but my wife did surprise when she said, "I think we need speakers out here." "Here" being the four season porch I just finished up before Thanksgiving. So we have added a pair of One's to the system. (Not that it matters, but I am sitting on the porch right now, sipping a fine Cab and listening to them. Big thumbs up)

Their gear may run towards the pricier side, but I am completely happy with everything so far.

So sunvalleylaw, I'm glad you're experience is similar to mine. I tip my glass in your direction!

- Jeff

Back
Top Bottom