1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming surge electrifies music industry

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by whell, Jan 3, 2018.

1. whell

whell AK Subscriber Subscriber

Archguy likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here are RIAA statistics for last year.

"In 2016, for the first time ever, streaming music platforms generated the majority of the U.S. music industry’s revenues."

3. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Exactly, until the artists get renumeration equal to the labels, it is a loose-loose situation for the artists.

4. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

Reality check ... IMHO ... the millennials (next generation) think music should be free. If you can even get "some" of them to pay for music in any way ...
    that's about as good as it gets looking forward. Paying for music today is completely voluntary. o_O

Again IMHO .. my generation will continue to buy music (we've always done it) ... but that's a receding market. New revenue will have to come from other sources ... paid subscription streaming ... being one of those routes for residual income to the music industry.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

I don’t see baby boomers filling up bars, clubs, and music festivals to see their favorite bands play, and then buy merchandise afterwards. Touring revenue doesn’t go through the record label, a lot of it goes directly to the artist and their overhead. Let’s stop pretending that any one generation is trying to kill music when in reality, it’s the labels, just like it’s always been.

6. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Please register to disable this ad.

7. GYMusic

GYMusic Compression is your friend Subscriber

Amen to that.

8. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

Many do if they own their masters. Else, when has equal shares ever been the case?

Hmmm...well, at least you've downgraded your plea from artists getting 100% of the proceeds to 50/50.

9. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

10. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

What I find interesting is that vinyl counted for 1 out of every 10 physical music purchases. Back when I first discovered streaming (when Rhapsody was the only game in town), I curtailed my purchases of CDs (with the exception of boxed sets of some of my favorite artists and an occasional impulse buy) and switched to buying hybrid SACDs (which I stopped doing several years ago) and vinyl. I just didn't see much reason to buy CDs when I had a huge library of digital at my disposal. Now we have entered a time where CD players are getting less popular in vehicles and there is even less reason to pick them over vinyl (especially when some vinyl albums have a digital copy available).

I should mention that I rarely buy physical discs at all these days, but I still see more reason to buy vinyl when it has a digital copy available than just buying the CD.