Stripped Knob Sansui AU5900...resolution?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by cnyel1967, Apr 14, 2018.

1. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Recently acquired this nice little amp but the speaker select knob is stripped. The plastic insert inside is rounded out and will not catch the serrated edges of the shaft. I tried spreading the shaft a bit but to no avail and don't want to risk breaking off one of the prongs. Does anyone have any resolutions for this? Pics attached....thanks!

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tom B

Tom B AK Subscriber Subscriber

Either get a new knob, or you could also try using hot glue. Put a few small beads inside the knob and quickly put the knob on. Before you do this, you need to make sure where to position the knob, because once the glue cools, you wont be able to reposition it.

3. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Might not be a good idea to glue it, as you may need to get that faceplate off for repairs at some point. Not sure glue would hold it anyway...the selector switch is fairly stiff. New knob is the best answer.

4. cnyel1967

Thanks- yes, gluing wouldn't have been an option due to possibly having to remove the faceplate for future service. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the whole knob as originals are not easy to find, but I'll throw a parts wanted add up in BT and keep an eye on eBay for an original knob. thx

Thanks- seems this is the best option.

5. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Why risk it, just get a better one.

Barney

6. ConradH

ConradH Addicted Member

Don't try to bend that shaft out anymore or it will break and you'll have a worse problem. That knob looks a lot like a standard Alco knob (though it isn't) and you might be able to find something close enough on the 'bay with a set screw. What are the dimensions of the knob?

7. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

When you get down to it, even an knob off another brand of equipment is better then a snapped control.

Barney

8. DougBrewster

DougBrewster AK Subscriber Subscriber

http://www.sansui-parts-shop.com/

Try this guy, you may get something close and he's helpful with dimensions if you need them. Alternatively you could get an insert from another knob type and cut it to length as needed.

9. nosirrah

nosirrah Moderator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

There is another possible option.
    Gently spread the legs of the shaft and force a cutting from a large rubber band into the slot. That may enlarge it enough to work, yet remain removable.

Hipocrates likes this.
  10. cnyel1967

Thanks- I've been looking around on eBay for similar knobs. Dims are approx 15/16" High and Wide...no worries on spreading it any more!

I agree 100%!

Thanks- I think I've been on that site before.....I'll check it out.

Thanks- interesting. I'll have to be very careful on this but will look into it.

11. cnyel1967

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The rubber band suggestion did the trick! I cut a piece of thick rubber band and slid it in the slotted shaft with a little band hanging over each side...and it works great! I don't change speaker selection much, so I should be safe now....thanks for all the suggestions! Another day of learning from the AK forum!

Hipocrates likes this.

12. The Fuxtor

The Fuxtor AK Subscriber Subscriber

I piece of shrinktubing works well sometimes,

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  13. americannigh

americannigh Active Member

In case you ever need to fix this knob again, another thing might be to get a different knob and then take the middle part out of the working knob and transplant it into the stripped knob. That is, if you can get the stripped part out maybe by prying it out or drilling it out? Some better quality knobs have metal inserts in the middle so one of those might be able to be taken out and transplanted. Sounds like a lot of work to fix a knob but if you MUST have the original look and can't find a like replacement, this could be a way to fix it.

cnyel1967 likes this.
  14. dpcornell

dpcornell Member