Stromberg Carlson console ID?

Trolly90

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello fellow AK ers, found this possible treasure (to me anyways, lol) in an elderly ladies garage surrounded by other massive pieces of furniture and other large, hard to move objects and was wondering if I could combine the massive intellect of this great forum to help identify this console and help me decide if this would be worthy to pursue for some tubey deliciousness? I think i could get it reasonably cheap, but the massive undertaking to remove this possible diamond in the rough might not be worth the effort...

Sorry about the pics, but these are the only pictures I could access through the clutter! Thanks!
20171129_140859.jpg 20171129_140805.jpg 20171129_140759.jpg

Prolly an old mono floor standing radio with record player and is not going to be hi-fi. Nothing to write home about but some of us do like to refurb these and see these live again as they are unless the cabinet is totally rotten.

Yup, need more pics. :thumbsup:

Looks like a field coil speaker, so I'll guess probably not newer than 1950. Agreed with Cademan for the most part but it may actually sound pretty good. Mono and all that though. Nice mono system or background music machine, and the cabinets are sometimes very nice.

Well, mono, for sure, Because of the rectifier tube at the back of the chassis, I think it's a 1941 920 chassis or the (identical?) postwar 1120 or 1220. AM and shortwave, no FM, 78 RPM only turntable. Push-pull 6V6 output stage for about 10 watts..

Thanks for your quick reply cademan, hopefully I can get some better pictures if I can spend a little more time shuffling some items.

Gadget73, do field coil speakers sound pretty good? If the console is too far gone I might repurpose the innards and use them for some future projects. Also would they typically be 8ohms from this era?

So Tom, you think it would have a separate amp, or is it integrated with the radio? If it's separate, difficulty in setting it up as a mono system? From what little I can see of the cab, it does look pretty rough...although I'm sure it could be sanded and refinished. Typically, what brand of tubes do these Strombergs run?

Thanks for the great thoughts and information guys, I sure appreciate it!

Some people really have a real love for field coils, personally I find that they work fine but I don't know that there is any special magic to them. Its got an electromagnet instead of a permanent magnet is all. You need a bunch of voltage to run that field coil otherwise it doesn't work. basically it pairs with the original amplifier perfectly, the amp or the speaker by themselves are not super useful.

Not sure what impedance those are honestly.

Thanks for that information gadget73! Have been curious about the difference between the field coil and permanent magnet...gives me a direction if I decide to pick that console up.

Back
Top Bottom