Stromberg-Carlson MONSTER RH-416 speaker cabinet

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
This cabinet was given to me by a guy whom I've purchased a few speakers from before; he was advertising it as 'free to a good home' on CL, and I am hoping to restore it to its former glory.

It is a Stromberg-Carlson RH-416 cabinet, which is definitely rare these days. I found only a couple of online references to it (and thanks to the AK guys who helped me out there).

http://books.google.com/books?id=9iU...nth"&f=false

http://edisoneffect.blogspot.com/201...adio-with.html

http://americanradiohistory.com/Arch...o-1958-Oct.pdf

NOTE: By the way, I learned a new word from the advertisements above. Apparently, the correct word at the time for the surrounds was 'skiver'. Who knew?​

I've got it home now, what a whopper! It is roughly 33 inches tall by 33 inches wide, and 21 inches deep. Very heavy, even with no drivers in it. Appears to be made of thick plywood with thick walnut veneer. I think it's walnut, anyway. The choices were apparently mahogany, walnut, or limed oak, and it doesn't look like mahogany or limed oak to me.

Here you can see the massive grill on the front, heavily stained. Also there is some veneer missing from the front edge on the left.

20140615_130558 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

The top is very scratched up; those scratches are quite deep. There are serious chips and missing veneer on both ends. From that, I can see that the veneer is quite thick, but I don't know how well I could sand through those scratches without making the top very uneven, and I really don't know how to fix those missing veneer chips. I mean, I've seen some videos and seen some instructions on the web, but I'm far from a woodworker. I can strip, sand, and stain, but that's about it, and I'm not even an expert with that.

Here it is with the grill removed.

20140615_130751 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

You can see that the baffle has a cutout for the 15 inch full-range or coax type driver. That's a baffle you see behind it; it extends most of the way to the left of the cabinet as you face it, then it bends around and returns, then it exits from a 1 foot rectangular opening in the bottom of the cabinet. That's the 'folded horn' or 'infinite baffle' or early 'transmission line' design. Remember, this speaker is from about 1958. S-C called it "Acoustical Labyrinth," for whatever that's worth. The sound goes around and around and around and it comes out here (for those who remember that old gag).

The knock-outs you see on the left were for a 12 inch and two small tweeters. I guess you could cover up the 15 inch hole and mount a 12 inch woofer and a mid and a tweeter, plus a crossover network. But to be honest, I'd kind of like to try my hand at a full range driver of some kind. Something inexpensive, this is an experiment. I was thinking a Utah or an Electro-Voice Wolverine, something efficient with a whizzer cone. This cabinet was supposedly a bass monster, due to the internal construction, so I was thinking that maybe even a lesser driver with stiff paper surrounds could still crank out some bass in a box like this; and I'm not a huge bass-head anyway.

I noticed that the baffle board is removable without too much effort; it's held in with a bunch of Allen-head bolts. It doesn't even extend to the inside edges of the cabinet for some reason. It would theoretically be possilble, I reckon, to completely redesign and repurpose this cabinet. However, I think I'd like to more or less keep it as it is and restore it to its former glory.

I was thinking of pairing this with my recently-acquired little Voice of Music monophonic amp.

IMGP2943_v1 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

I've also got an old Garrard record changer that might work to let me play some old monophonic LPs and 78s.

So, it's time to start thinking about how I'm going to refinish the cabinet. I believe I'll be able to strip the sides and front without any major issues; there is some finish loss, but it doesn't look like much physical damage, if any. The big problem is going to be the top.

So tell me, woodworkers, what would you suggest? I've never done a re-veneer before, but I guess I'm willing to try. The top is a big rectangular slab, no weird corners or angles to worry about, so I suppose it would be relatively easy?

Open to suggestions. Well, anything except "Econowave it!" Not planning to do that, thanks. :thmbsp:

Way cute, Wigwam. S-C was quite a company in their day. I was never fortunate to have enough contact with their gear back in the 70s. Wanna do it right, check out Great Plains Audio 12" coaxial speaker? Similar in design to the Altec 604 they make. Not inexpensive, though.

If you want to go for a driver of similar vintage to the cabinet, get a Jensen if you can find one. They would have been hanging on the wall at a stereo shop where those S-C products were.

Cheers,

David

Way cute, Wigwam. S-C was quite a company in their day. I was never fortunate to have enough contact with their gear back in the 70s. Wanna do it right, check out Great Plains Audio 12" coaxial speaker? Similar in design to the Altec 604 they make. Not inexpensive, though.

If you want to go for a driver of similar vintage to the cabinet, get a Jensen if you can find one. They would have been hanging on the wall at a stereo shop where those S-C products were.

Cheers,

David

Thanks, but 'expensive' is not in the cards. And I need a 15 inch driver. I will keep an eye open for Jensen drivers of that size and type. Thanks!

I purchased an Electro-Voice Wolverine LS-15 and am now awaiting it. I also found a power sander at a local thrift store, so I will be working on the cabinet soon as well. This will be a fun project.

Cheers,

David

S-C was long out of the audio business by the 70s. Their one and only solid-state consumer audio product was an add-on MPX decoder for their consoles.

If you have any thoughts on tacking in a 12" speaker in addition to the 15", I've got a couple of 12" console pulls I'll be happy to donate to the cause, as long as you get them out of my way :)

If you have any thoughts on tacking in a 12" speaker in addition to the 15", I've got a couple of 12" console pulls I'll be happy to donate to the cause, as long as you get them out of my way :)

That's very kind of you! However, I think the 15 inch full-range Wolverine will probably do the job. Like you, I also have a few console pulls I'm trying to put to good use!

S-C made a small transistor portable radio that was included in their in-store displays or at least a dummy of it. I remember seeing it at the local wholesaler, Rockingham Electric and it might be interesting enough to replace my restored Tom Thumb portable but, the old man would have none of it.

I purchased an Electro-Voice Wolverine LS-15 and am now awaiting it. I also found a power sander at a local thrift store, so I will be working on the cabinet soon as well. This will be a fun project.
It's a University Speaker 15" Triaxial model unknow,But sound very good!!:thmbsp:

Attachments

• PB070485.jpg
    PB070485.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 27
Old thread but this identifies what I found today!
Two of them $24.99 each and they are enormous.

Attachments

• 20170911_185328.jpg
    20170911_185328.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 19
So the ones I picked up are clearly different than the RH-416 above.
Now to try and determine what these are!

Attachments

• 20170916_172724.jpg
    20170916_172724.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom