Stromberg Carlson RP-781 WO

appleton71

I'm new to vintage audio equipment and I'm wondering if anyone has info on Stromberg Carlson RP-781 WO consoles. I've been searching the web and can't find much. I have the opportunity to buy one along with a stand alone amplified Magnavox speaker/record cabinet for what I feel is a pretty good price. I don't really care about value, just looking for some specs, availability of replacement parts, etc.

I've attached a couple pictures. It actually looks better in person than it does in the photos.

Thanks!00E0E_beVKTGwMhoZ_1200x900.jpg 00r0r_2PjZmP6BOwS_1200x900.jpg

This is one of their lower-end consoles, about equal to the Magnavoxen. (The higher-end consoles used components which were also sold separately) The service info is on my web page: http://www.audiophool.com/MadeInRoch.html Amplifier is ASR-120, tuner (SR-130) is powered from the amp (not stand-alone). That one file (Sams folder 609-9) is a PDF but you'll need the DjVu plugin for most of the files on my site: http://www.audiophool.com/DjVu.html

The turntable will need the petrified grease cleaned out and replaced, maybe some rubber parts. I probably have the Sams folder for that, but haven't posted it Amp and tuner may need some capacitors replaced. Tubes are likely fine.

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's going to come in very handy. I picked up the S-C today knowing that it didn't power on. Got it home and noticed someone had installed a fuse holder and the fuse fell out. I popped the fuse back in and the tuner fired right up. Other than the controls being very scratchy it sounded amazing. I tried the turntable but couldn't get it to work, then noticed the tuner dial light stopped working and there was a bit of a sizzling sound from the amp. Then all power was gone. I unscrewed the amp and noticed a small gooey puddle under the big cap as well as some charring on it's underside. Looks like I have a winter project!

I've been working on this console for a few weeks now and have it nearly 100% functional. Recapped it, a couple of new tubes, fixed some cold solder joints, cleaned and relubed the turntable, new turntable wheels, new stylus...

I have a few questions to get me the rest of the way..

1) Should I be hearing FM in stereo? I thought it was in stereo when I first started playing with it but it's definitely mono now. The phono plays in stereo.
2) The preamp seems pretty anemic. There's hardly any bass when listening to the phono compared to the radio. Is this normal or can I do something to give it a fuller sound?
3) Can someone ID my turntable? I know it's a Glaser Steers but I'm unsure of the model. I've been using the GS-77 schematics because it looks extremely similar but mine doesn't seem to have the speed minder feature and doesn't stop the turntable between records. I've attached a picture of the numbers stamped on the underside.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• gs.jpg
    gs.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 5
Stromberg never built a tuner with stereo FM. Stromberg did make a separate multiplex adapter, possibly dealer installed - the tuner has the multiplex output and inputs, so it was a plug-in. But stereo broadcasting started in 1962, wasn't common for a few more years.

The Sams Folder refers you to the folder for the G-S 400 - I don't have a working scanner at the moment but will be getting one and I'll post it

Back
Top Bottom