Struts: Monroe vs. KYB

Well, I'm ordering the Monroes right now. Let's hope they are good.

I have a 5% Rock Auto discount to use, so that takes a little of the sting out of it. $449, shipped.

BTW, this 5% discount code is also shareable. Feel free to use it! 8915360480712380 Enter it by itself in the "How did you hear about us?" field on the order form.

On my 1983 Rabbit GTI I had KYB gas shocks and it made all the difference. (GTI stands for Get there Immediately)

I've used both and my vote goes to KYB. My daughter's car has Monroe's and I'm not happy with the ride. Factory struts if affordable are a better choice over either.

Years ago replaced factory installed Bilstein's for KYB coil over set-up on my 03 Cobra (is drag/street car) More than 10 years, no leaky and quicker et's.

Well, I'm ordering the Monroes right now. Let's hope they are good.
The pain (of installation) begins in a day or two. Tequila is on hand, black latex work gloves and Band Aids are nearby, and I'm ready to rock. :D

Slight hiccup. Got a notification 4:47pm Saturday that FedEx delivered the struts. Home at 4:59pm--no struts. Front porch, side door (where I tell them to deliver), patio, garage, in the flower beds behind the daylilies...nothing. I was a little concerned they were stolen, but neighbors were outdoors at the time. Got a text Sunday afternoon--someone one street over had them delivered there. (It's happened before--our streets start with the same word, and delivery newbies are a bit challenged.) Picked them up yesterday morning. Crisis averted.

I had the same OESpectrum product in the TL a few years ago and it rode nicely. So we'll see how these go. Everything in the rear is just sort of flopping around right now. Anything will be better!

No tequila needed, no Band Aids sacrificed, but I got the job done. It really wasn't hard--just tiring, and tedious. The fronts were actually easier than the rears. With the rears, I had to disconnect the trailing arm from the chassis in order to drop the strut out, and had to also disconnect a smaller control arm so I could drop the suspension further to line up with the new strut. With the front, it was just a matter of five bolts from the top, and two pinch bolts on the bottom. (The hardest part there was holding up the strut so I could catch one of the bolts on top.) It was too late to shuffle all the cars in the driveway so I'll have to see how it's riding tomorrow.

The factory service manual really helps in a case like this, especially with torque values for all of the fasteners.

And this chair never felt so good... :D

Glad to hear all went well.This canuck loves rock auto .My old f150 got kyb front shocks that were on sale for 6 bucks each ,closeout.They are good front shocks.My rear shocks were Monroe coil over load levelers that worked great.Truck has been sold and I now drive a 2013 ford edge sel with a 285hp 3.5 v6 with a 6 speed sport select tranny.Its a great awd suv .

Glad to hear all went well.This canuck loves rock auto .
I have nine items in my Rock Auto cart right now--I've done more with them this year than in years past. There are still a few things less expensive elsewhere, but most of it is less (as long as I keep an eye on shipping charges).

Short trip this morning, including a stretch on our notoriously bad roads. So far the ride hasn't changed much, other than the "flabby" ride (and noise) of the worn out struts being eliminated. Feels tighter as you'd expect, but ride height is the same, it rides about the same in terms of smoothness, and isn't bouncy. I would suspect it handles a bit better, especially the way the worn out struts would "skip" over bumps in the rear.

just dialed up a set of air monroes for the rear of my deville to replace factory dampers! (115K!)

and another set of powerstop brakes for the rear...gotta do what you can for a 2 ton car capable of running sub 15 seconds with essentially lesabre/impala brakes

Back
Top Bottom