Stubborn Green Specks on Tape Head

anytune

Wondering if anyone has any advice on removing some greenish specks (corrosion?) on the tape head of an Aiwa F330. Swabbing the head surface with alcohol and non-ammonia Windex did not help. Fortunately, the space where the tape passes does not appear to be affected. Machine is otherwise in great shape and plays good. Leave it alone or is there some other safe cleaning compound worth trying? Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• Aiwa tape head.jpg
    Aiwa tape head.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 27
I f it plays ok, I would leave it alone. Are the specks in the tape path? If not, then I wouldn't worry, if they are, playing tapes will solve the issue anyway.

Good point. The specks do not appear to be obstructing the tape path and the unit plays good. No reason to risk damaging.

If you are like me, the specks/oxidation will bother you forever, even if it has no effect on playback. Is there any way to get some lapping paper in there? I know on my open reel decks, I've polished with the final ultra fine grades and had great results when I see such defects. I always sleep better when things like heads and platters have a mirror finish, but I'm weird that way.

If it were me, I'd firstly record a tape with some high frequency tones on it to establish the azimuth (assuming you don't have calibration cassettes), then I'd remove the head and polish it. Remount the head and align it to your reference tape.

Back
Top Bottom