Stunning packaging

DRecovery

Pants-wearer
I've just received a preamp and the packaging is so extraordinary I have to share. It's a normal sized, full height (~6 inches) Sony preamp.

The preamp was wrapped in that plastic sheet that is super-soft like Tyvek (but not as strong as Tyvek)
It was then bagged in ESD plastic and taped tightly
Attached to this were eight cardboard corner reinforcements
That was wrapped in 1/4" bubble wrap to a depth of ~2inches (looks like a full roll)
That was wrapped in padded heavy paper (no idea what that's called either)
Then that was was padded with 3-4 inches of that soft plastic sheeting
Finally the whole thing was placed in a heavy duty 30x20x12 plastic storage tote!

I have about a hundred feet of bubble wrap that I recovered, hundreds of feet of the soft plastic (anyone know what that's called?), and a excellent storage tote leftover, all that is perfectly fine that I am going to save. Plus a preamp that survived shipping perfectly, and surely could have weighed five times as much with no chance of harm.

Seriously, this is probably the first piece of vintage audio that was unquestionably over-packaged!

I just found the roll of standard 1/8" shipping foam that came of there as well. I forgot about it. I don't know where it was in the order; it really doesn't matter.

I just got a JBL 12" woofer in the mail.

Large carboard box.

Opened box to find second box, with lots and lots of wadded up wall paper around it.

Open smaller box, woofer is wrapped in wallpaper, and then bubblewrap over that.

Finally get down to woofer and it has wall paper stuffed between the spider and cone all around, and has cardboard protecting the front of the woofer.
Amazing!

I used to ship training materials in those storage containers. Drilled holes through the top and rim and zip-tie shut. Made it through lots of UPS 2nd day trips.

Back
Top Bottom